Weighing Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have a habit of over thinking. I weighed my volume charges today to check for consistency. Here is what I did, seems to simple am I missing anything?

I have an old Redding post beam scale. I had about 10 premeasured BH209 loads, 110 grains by volume. I dumped the 1st one on the scale and zeroed it out. I then adjusted all the other loads to that zero. I wish I would have paid attention to the weight, but I didn't. I was more concerned with consistency than what the weight was.

I'm not sure if this will help my groups. Am I missing anything?

Weighing powder does not help with accuracy.
Really? Then why do all competitive shooters weigh their charges?
There might not be that much of a difference with black powder but when you get into the higher velocity subs like T7 and bh209 then there is enough difference in accuracy between weighing and throwing volume charges that a shooter can see.

Last edited:
It depends on your process of throwing a volume measurement. These can be way off depending on if you drop the powder the same every time or not. How many grains of variance do you see with each volume measured load?

I can weigh charges with my scale down to the 0.1 grain.

If you can do it exactly the same every time you may only have a grain or two variance, but weighing your charges you can be much more precise. Every little thing helps, and if you do all the little things they begin to really add up and your groups will improve.

I have chrono'd with both weighed and volume measured loads and can see a difference in my Extreme Spreads to the tune of 50 fps with volume versus weighed ES's in the teens.

Groups at 100 yards may not show this difference at all and most will never care. But if your reaching a bit longer, with an already rainbow trajectory, every little bit helps!

If you have not shot them all off already, just true-zero your scale and weigh one.

Alternately- Just measure out another charge of the same volume and weigh it.

You definitely want to know the actual number so you can check different lots for consistency.

Don't just pour 1 charge and weigh it. I believe it was Encore50 that said he throws 10 charges by volume and then weighs each of them. From those weights he gets an average and that is the weight he uses for his charges. That makes sense. Now this weight can vary from lot to lot due to the powder density variation from lot to lot.

Really? Then why do all competitive shooters weigh their charges?
There might not be that much of a difference with black powder but when you get into the higher velocity subs like T7 and bh209 then there is enough difference in accuracy between weighing and throwing volume charges that a shooter can see.
Not one heavy or light rifle bench shooter that I know weigh their powder charges and not one pistol shooter either.

Those who weigh, weight their balls.

Ever since I started hunting 55+ years ago I also started reloading. Every CF rifle charge I ever loaded was weighed. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. I can't remember the last time I even shot a round from one of my CF rifles that wasn't one of my reloads. I've developed enough loads for numerous rifles that would group fantastic in any weather condition. A couple that shot 1/4 MOA consistently. You vary that load by as much as 1 grain and the group sized opened up. Pistols and revolvers I don't weigh. I set my thrower and weigh maybe 5 consecutive loads and if OK I load 50 rounds then check the weight again when those cases are filled for safety's sake.
At the advice of competitive shooters on here I started weighing my BH209 and T7 charges for consistency. I only measure real BP by volume.

Those guys that use volume in CF cartridges are short range shooters, who stay well within appropriate pressures for their propellant and rifle.

For those who shoot and hunt short ranges, volume measuring of propellant will be fine. However, if you plan on shooting any long range and doing it consistently accurate, you'll measure your propellant by weight. You cannot be 1-3grs off and shoot accurately at long range with a modern inline. Been proven over and over at Camp Atterbury and more so at Friendship.

Latest posts

Back