Weighing Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m probably a weirdo, but I weigh all my BH, T7, and Pyrodex, but I use Lee dippers for all my centerfire and pistol cartridge reloading. I’ll put the accuracy of my centerfire reloads up against anyone’s.

WP79Vet.
Greetings. I tell you what, the weather is supposed to be 57 above here come next Wednesday so and I went out tonight and weighed up some charges of 777, that's what I am using in my percussion and I see a fellow posted that it might work in a flintlock so I might try that too, three shots each with a weight charge equivalent to 55 greens of black powder. I hope that makes sense, I use my powder measure set at 45 for 777 and it looks like that weighs about 35 grains on my scale so that's what I will be shooting. I'll do this from a good rest at 50 yards, try to get a picture of it and I'll send it out probably about next Thursday.
Squint
Sounds good, Squint! I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

I just posted a new thread which reports what I'm finding as I try to develop a good elk load with Hornady Great Plains bullets. I hope you have time to read it and comment. Not much time between now and MT's Heritage ML season, but I'm looking forward to a few warmer afternoon shooting sessions before I start hunting.

Sounds good, Squint! I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

I just posted a new thread which reports what I'm finding as I try to develop a good elk load with Hornady Great Plains bullets. I hope you have time to read it and comment. Not much time between now and MT's Heritage ML season, but I'm looking forward to a few warmer afternoon shooting sessions before I start hunting.
Well WP79 vet, I went out and tried my luck in seeing how my weight charges compared to those that I just used the measure on. I shot at 50 yards and there was such a little difference between the two that you really couldn't tell what was the best I actually think the measured charges were a tiny bit better. It's about the poor shooting I did for some time at 50 yards. I discovered that my patches were too thin and I was burning through them in spots and I didn't have that trouble last summer with the same charge, which is a 50 caliber percussion with 45 grains equivalent of 777. Using my powder measure that actually figures out to about 35 grain scale weight of 777, so that's what i did, was weigh them out very carefully and compare those with just throwed weights of powder. Actually this trouble with my patches which I hadn't had before, decided me that I need a different patch, so I have ordered some new patches, I did try some .016 that I had with me, and it even burnt through that on one so I ordered some .018 this morning and we'll see how that goes when the weather lets me shoot. It was really disappointing to me that the weight charges weren't better but I'm gonna try it again come spring and see if they are a little better using a different patch. The only patches I had with me that did measure .016 were lubricated with fast orange hand cleaner and the darns thing shot pretty good. I guess the only reason I keep on shooting muzzle loaders is that I can keep on experimenting period
squint

Well WP79 vet, I went out and tried my luck in seeing how my weight charges compared to those that I just used the measure on. I shot at 50 yards and there was such a little difference between the two that you really couldn't tell what was the best I actually think the measured charges were a tiny bit better. It's about the poor shooting I did for some time at 50 yards. I discovered that my patches were too thin and I was burning through them in spots and I didn't have that trouble last summer with the same charge, which is a 50 caliber percussion with 45 grains equivalent of 777. Using my powder measure that actually figures out to about 35 grain scale weight of 777, so that's what i did, was weigh them out very carefully and compare those with just throwed weights of powder. Actually this trouble with my patches which I hadn't had before, decided me that I need a different patch, so I have ordered some new patches, I did try some .016 that I had with me, and it even burnt through that on one so I ordered some .018 this morning and we'll see how that goes when the weather lets me shoot. It was really disappointing to me that the weight charges weren't better but I'm gonna try it again come spring and see if they are a little better using a different patch. The only patches I had with me that did measure .016 were lubricated with fast orange hand cleaner and the darns thing shot pretty good. I guess the only reason I keep on shooting muzzle loaders is that I can keep on experimenting period
squint

Hmmm... Looks like your shooting session brought some important things to light, even though it didn't show any difference in the performance of weighed versus measured charges.

Lots of things affect accuracy, and because random errors add in quadrature, you can completely eliminate a small source of random error, but it doesn't do much to change your overall results.

What does "add in quadrature" mean? Let's say that we have three sources of random error, one of which is +/- 7, one of which is +/- 3, and one of which is +/- 2. The total error is the square root of (7x7 + 3x3 + 2x2) = 7.87

If we completely eliminate the error which is +/- 3, the result is the square root of (7x7 + 2x2) = 7.3

To make significant progress in group sizes, then, we have to identify and reduce the biggest sources of errors. Trouble is, there are dozens of factors that affect the group size of a muzzle loader, and it's really hard to know which one or ones are the biggest. But, like you say, muzzle-loading is a fun hobby BECAUSE there are so many experiments to do - and they are at least a little different for every rifle. And, unlike meaningful experiments with cartridge rifles, most of the experiments can be done without super expensive machine tools and measurement equipment.

Sounds like patch issues are your biggest source of error at the moment. Thanks for posting - I'm eager to follow your progress in resolving the patch issues and exploring the impact of weighing versus measuring charges.

The cool thing about a forum like this is that all of us can learn from each others' experiences, and make much faster progress. That's why I'm posting Range Reports on my progress in developing an elk load for my Renegade, and why I appreciate everybody's comments and thoughts so much.

squint
Hello Squint. A beloved fellow member here had the same problem. His cure, and it worked for me too, was to push a single patch down the bore on top of the powder. Then load the patched ball. Your basically doubling patches. I think you might like this.. shorty

Hello Squint. A beloved fellow member here had the same problem. His cure, and it worked for me too, was to push a single patch down the bore on top of the powder. Then load the patched ball. Your basically doubling patches. I think you might like this.. shorty
That will certainly help n is cheaper than my fix. I use either a veggie or wool wad over the powder, to keep the gasses from burning my thinner patch.

It only make sense that precisely weighing something every time would make it more consistent. Which in turn makes it more repeatable and accurate. As a whole most factory ammo is not as accurate as handling. Maybe that is one of the big factors. I personally found that once I started weighing blackhorn my accuracy improved.
The argument for spherical smokeless powders was that the uniform size would make more accurate volume charges. Extruded powders, which would include BH 209, are less accurate by volume. Black powder, which is neither spherical nor extruded, is anybody's guess how consistently it measures by volume.

hi Shorty. I failed to mention when I posted that, that I do use a wad above the powder to keep from burning the patch and it didn't work, and I think it's made out of wool. it's not real thick probably an eighth inch that I buy. It dawned on me when I got done shooting that I do have some .495 round balls, as I one time had an idea that they might be better, they are a tiny bit heavier, but I never had any with me to try and of course now we turn off kinda chilly again so I'm probably done till March. I think that a 495 ball with say .010 to .014 patch would probably work and I'm just waiting to find out. I never did try just a plain patch above the powder, and that might prove better than the wads that I have. I do tend do you use a very damp patch and for that reason I use a wad above the powder. I don't hunt much anymore, but even at a muzzleloader shoot, sometimes my gun is loaded for a little while before it is fired.
Squint

Last edited:
Try the patch over powder with the patched round ball with olive oil on the patches. They just need to be damp then let dry. Use a cottton drill material if you can get your hands on some. Its a lot tougher material. Old blue jeans might work for you. Good luck my friend. I have used bore butter on my patches also. Worked good..

good evening Shorty.
Well I got out this afternoon, here in Montana it was 45 above, and I got to test weighted charges against those that are just throwed and you know the results were identical to the best I can shoot. It didn't make any difference. The whole thing I wanted to do was experiment with different lubes, against different round balls, using 777. I have some patches from Eastern Maine that measure .010 I've been wanting to use them but they're pretty thin. Going to a .495 round ball and using a wad above the powder, which I did on all shots, they are a lightly lubricated patch that I also buy from eastern Maine. they shot the best of anything I have shot so far. They are factory lubed with something that I do not know what it is, but they really shot good and they are so darn easy to load I didn't think they would even hit the cardboard. Aren't overly wet , but you can tell they are definitely coated. Using a .490 ball, the best results were with Mr. flintlock patch Lube and using a .015 patch. This was at 50 yards using 777 with the measure set on 47 grains. Which showed would weigh about 35 grains for 777 and that's what I weighed out carefully for the experiment. I should tell you I shoot a large peep site so accuracy is probably as good as I can get it and the groups are about an inch and a half and I consider that very good. The .490 balls were harder to load which would have some effect on hunting or even competition shooting. I did not clean between any of the shots and I fired one shot before I started to dirty up the bore. That shot did not go exactly where I thought it would.
Squint

Hello Mr.Squint. Loved reading your shooting results. First of all i got to say that congratulations on living in a great western state, shooting smoke poles and living the dream!! Your the real deal.. i am glad you shared your results on weighed powder verses volume measurements, that is surprising and great news at the same time. I also like your shooting results using a large peep as it would also be better in lower light situations. The patches you are describing almost sound like the ones that people wrote about using a product called ballistol. Either way i am glad your groups have tightened to your likening. Did you look at the fired patches for blow out or fringe burning? You probably got away from that by using the patch over powder though. Keep up the good work and definitely keep us posted. Thank you shorty…IMG_3469.png

I weigh my BH209, T7 and of course my smokeless for the Patriot. What I don't get is that so many people fuss and fidget with loads for accuracy and consistency. The run the gamut of bullets and sabots and primers and powders to get what they think is the best the gun can give them but fail to see where weighing removes charge inconsistencies 100%. A volume measure will differ from a different volume measure, even if they're the same brand. Atmospheric conditions can increase the amount of natural static electricity in the air and play havoc on volume measuring. Different people will have different ways of filling a volume measure and often they are not the least bit consistent. The tiny bit of time it takes to weigh out 50 charges and tube them is certainly worth the confidence in knowing that the powder charge isn't going to be an issue when driving towards the most accurate load one can get.

I weigh my black powder ( Swiss) charges. In my Firehawk, I get actual high/ low velocity variations, with sabot loads, of 10-15 fps. Sometimes lower. Had a 10 shot string once, that had a high/ low of 3 fps.
With conicals, it's under 20 fps. Higher and I'm messing something up.
Whether it makes a difference or not, it removes a significant variable. If there's an issue, I know it not the powder charge.

I weigh my BH209, T7 and of course my smokeless for the Patriot. What I don't get is that so many people fuss and fidget with loads for accuracy and consistency. The run the gamut of bullets and sabots and primers and powders to get what they think is the best the gun can give them but fail to see where weighing removes charge inconsistencies 100%. A volume measure will differ from a different volume measure, even if they're the same brand. Atmospheric conditions can increase the amount of natural static electricity in the air and play havoc on volume measuring. Different people will have different ways of filling a volume measure and often they are not the least bit consistent. The tiny bit of time it takes to weigh out 50 charges and tube them is certainly worth the confidence in knowing that the powder charge isn't going to be an issue when driving towards the most accurate load one can get.
Yep! Per an earlier post to this thread, I set my TC U-View powder measure to 100 grains, then measured out and weighed 10 charges of T7-3F, being just as careful as I possibly could. The measured charges varied by plus or minus 2 grains about the mean. Then there's the uncertainty of setting the powder measure, which has to be at least a couple of grains. As Squint's experiments showed, variations in charge due to volume measurements probably aren't the biggest contributor to group size, if you're reasonably careful. But... given the tiny amount of extra time it takes to weigh the charges, why would anybody NOT weigh their charges and remove this uncertainty?

I can't believe what I'm reading.😔
What's happening?

I weigh every charge I shoot. I don't just simply "throw" a powder charge. Not by volume or by assumed bushing correctness. I weigh every single charge I load. All of them! How could anyone be consistent otherwise? This is insane.

Back