Well here's MY post about ULA .50 II!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Finally got to the range to shoot my new ULA .50. I mounted the new VX-L 3.5-10X50 in low Talley LW mounts. I'll tell you...that scope is a piece of WORK! I LOVE it! I really can't quit looking at it! :D ANYWAYS.... Concerning the rifle....This ULA was ordered with a heavier barrel contour AND a longer barrel. The barrel actually turned out a good deal longer. Here are some figures:

OEM Savage 10ML-II useable barrel-22.2 inches.. LOA-44.0 inches
ULA .50 I...useable barrel-23.6 inches.. LOA-43.0 inches
ULA .50 II..useable barrel-26.0 inches.. LOA-45.0 inches

The longer, heavier barrel didn't create a heavy gun at all either:

10ML-II, Talley LW mounts, Ziess 3.5-10X44--10.25lbs
ULA .50 I, Talley LW mounts, Leupold VX-III 2.5-8--7lbs
ULA .50 II, Talley LW mounts, Leupold VX-L 3.5-10X50--8lbs

I got the heavier, longer barrel to help with recoil a little with heavier loads. This gun has long range as a priority!

Here are a couple of PICS!

2006rangepics%20326.jpg

2006rangepics%20331.jpg

LOVE that SCOPE: 8)

2006rangepics%20328.jpg

Well to start off..I wanted this rifle to be a flat shooting as possible. I tried several newer bullets, those being the Parker HydraCon 300gr and Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gr. To get started, I tried the 275gr Ballistic Extreme with 40gr N-110:

2006rangepics%20333.jpg

Sorry so blury.. :oops: That was the first group out of the rifle. Average velocity 2222fps.
Next up was 42gr N-110, same bullet:

2006rangepics%20332.jpg

Average velocity 2290fps. Next I tried several combinations of 300gr HydraCons and 4759/N-110 and never got anything to group like I wanted. Groups in the 1.5 inch area...not bad but not what I was looking for. Velocites also were not as expected. It seems that the shorted barrel ULA really gives about all the velocity that is available with the faster N-110/SR-4759 powders. It's too hot to shoot anymore so I go home and weigh some N-120!

This afternoon I went back to the range to try some N-120 with the 275gr Ballistic Extremes. I'm glad I DID! First group:

2006rangepics%20337.jpg

Velocities were MUCH better! 57gr N-120/275gr Ballistic Extreme averaged 2358fps! My GOAL was 2400fps.

NEXT group was same sabot/bullet but 58gr N-120:

2006rangepics%20334.jpg

Well as you can see the GROUP got larger but the velocity was right where I wanted, 2407fps. So next I shot the exact same load EXCEPT I used a different sabot:

2006rangepics%20336.jpg

Best group of the DAY! And truth of the matter..I could tell I was shooting better. Velocity went up a tad to an average of 2442fps. This is the load I'm going to work with next range trip. If this load works out I can have a realistic 190yd zero and still be within 3 inches at 221yds.

The second trip to the range in the same day really paid off. I really do that alot. I'm glad to see you found a really accurate load with your new ULA. I believe all your Muzzleloaders are ready for hunting now. :wink: When is Deer season? :) Good shooting big6x6

P.S. Nice scope, no further comment needed. :lol:

Good news Chuck! However I did not fair as well...Got a late start and shot in the heat of the day..... Will try later...

Very nice set up Chuck. That last load sure has alot of potential as a long range load. Looking forward to hearing more about your long range work with the Nula II.

Very nice !!

What sabot did you switch to for your second group with 58 gr. N-120??

thanks,
Kim

I was curious what sabot you went to also. Why do you think that you are getting such good velocities? You are getting more speed out of 58 grains of N120 than others do out of 60. I know that this is a longer barrel, but those are also faster than the SMI's with 28" barrels. Do you think it is the breech plug? Just curious. Very nice gun and man does it shoot!!!

Chuck,

Love your setup and I really like that scope! Looks like that gun is another performer! I think all of Melvin's guns are SHOOTERS!!!

Congrats and nice shooting!

Looks good Chuck. That's a heck of a set up you got. NIce shootin...

Latest posts

Back