Well I am back!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koger

Reaction score
Been off the forum for a while, had my 3rd hip surgery to remove my hip replacement that was put in fall 2017, had it out 10-26-18 and replaced with a plastic one full of time  release antibiotics. I had two kinds of infection and I had been having seizure like episodes all summer, and a infectious disease doc took my blood work, called me back in 2 days and had me come straight in, gave me tow iv's and put a pic line in, had to give myself 2 iv's a day for 8 weeks, half way thru they removed the hip and put in the plastic one, I was nearly septic with the 2 infections. On 2-1-19 they put my new hip in, sent me home 2-5-19. I am doing pretty good, have a 26inch incision and over 120 staples. This is my 4th hip surgery in 16 months, and had 3 strokes on 11-21-17!  I have battled back thru all this, still have my right leg 80%numb and my right hand about 50% numb, comes and goes. I luckily still have most of my mental faculty's intact, short term memory sucks, but still remember everything I knew from 35 years of gunsmithing, and hunting, got home from having the plastic spacer put in on a Saturday, got out Monday in rifle season and shot a doe at 70 yds, and on Friday I shot a 4 pt buck the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer, 510 yds. I had ranged every corner of the field and when he came out I took a rest over a sandbag, held about 2 inches over his back quartering away, took out one lung, his heart, and blew the opposite front leg at the knee when exiting.  I had the guns zeroed at 300 yds, was shooting a 6.5x55 I built in 1985, and was shooting a 120 SP, Sierra at 3000fps! I have taken a ton of game, literally with this rifle over the years, and after shooting woodchucks at 300-400 yds, a deer was not too hard. He may not look like much to some folks, but it was a trophy for me, having to hunt on crutches. I give God all the praise for the shape I am in, and the docs could not believe how much I bounced back in the 4 days after surgery, I told them I had a lot of good folks praying for me, and that is the best medicine anyone could have. Will try to get back on here a lot more, and I need to get some lube off of you Jon. Just thought I would share!

It's great to see you bouncing back from life's challenges.  Welcome back skoger :cheers:

That is rough, skoger! It is great to see you coming back strongly!

Your post helps give us strength when facing difficult health trials.

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks guys, I am two weeks out of my surgery, and doing great, getting my strength back more everyday, finally stopped bleeding out of the drain hole, that was a big relief. Still cant put much weight on the hip for 6-8 weeks, due to bone loss every time they removed the hip, doc stated it was my last surgery, no matter what, but that I would have to be careful the rest of my life, not lifting or tugging on heavy farm equipment like I was used to. This is hard to accept for person that has worked 40-60 hours a week at a job, and then came home and farmed and did gunsmithing on the side. I will just have to get someone to help me more, my neighbor said he would take care of all my hay cutting, and baling, that leaves me to just spread fertilizer, do some bush hogging and putting hay out in the winter, putting it up during the summer.

Latest posts

Back