What a day :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet she's glad to be there!
Continueing prayers for a quick recovery!

Big John

Been awhile.........

I'll say that progress is slow but, there's progress but not without a lot of pain. I'm not sure but, I think she now realizes just how bad an accident this was. She's still in a wheelchair or using a walker. One or the other still 100% of the time.

She has two PT's, one occupational and one physical. Both are excellent. However, there's an awful lot of screaming and crying during PT. They work her knee. She may scream and cry but, she still continues. Three weeks ago we had to make a trip down Beaumont hospital for another procedure by the surgeon. What happened was that the therapists could not, in any way, get her knee to bend beyond 90°. So the procedure down below was what's called a "manual manipulation". Sedatives in the operating room and the surgeon manipulated her knee and broke up the scar tissue. While she was in recovery, he came out and told me that he got it to 143°. They did additional x-rays to be positive there was no damage. There was none.
It set her back considerably both physically and mentally. Afterwards, that knee was quite painful. The surgeon set it up so that she'd have PT every day for 2wks.

We have to make a post procedure visit this Thursday. I have a bad feeling and I hope like hell I'm totally wrong but, it would not surprise me if she doesn't have to have additional surgery. The PT can not get that knee to bend beyond 97°. The wife's pain at that point is so severe that she's crying hard. The therapist is concerned that there's severe nerve damage, which is what's causing her so much pain. The nerve damage can be easily fixed. They just cut the nerve but, it is far from a preferred treatment. The surgeon could decide that a more invasive surgery is required to remove the scar tissue and or both the tissue and cut the nerve. We'll know more after talking with the surgeon.

Speaking of the surgeon, because they're having issue with bending the knee, he ordered another new brace for her. We pick that up Wednesday. Its not going to be comfortable for her but, it will force her knee to bend and.... she'll have control. I'm hoping that now that she FINALLY has this new brace, they'll make her use it for a couple weeks prior to making any other decision/s.
I will say getting this brace has been a pain in my ask. This is the second brace as the first one we went to get last week, was 180° WRONG. It was made for extension, not flexion. DAH???
They fixed the issue and expedited the new one. I was on his ask about making sure that that brace made it here before the first of the year. Yeah, co-pay kicks back in. :(

This has been an "experience" for both of us. I will say I'm getting pretty damn good at grocery shopping. The wife does her required therapy here at home and actually does 2x or 3x what the therapists asked. She's not slacking. She's figured out how to do different things and does NOT want help. She's tackled and conquered the laundry :) We have a LONG road yet ahead.

Check out this new brace she'll be using. I'm going to see if the damn thing has wi-fi.

JAS EZ Knee Flexion.jpg

Wow…. This is such a crazy ordeal. Can’t imagine seeing my wife in that kinda pain. Appreciate the update. Think about you guys often and continued prayers.

Thank you for updating us on your wife's progress. My wife and I were recently wondering how things were progressing but I didn't want to invade your privacy and ask. Our prayers are with you, and we cannot fathom what you are both going through. You both must be and sound like very strong folks. Our wishes for an improved recovery go out to you both.
John

Just picked up on this thread, being a fairly new member I didn't know the story. I hope everything turns out for the best. Watching a loved one go through something like that eats at the soul. Stay strong with best wishes to you and your wife.

Was hoping no new news was good news but obviously couldn't be farther from the truth. Hate to hear of the wife suffering and know full well how hard that is on you as well. Healing vibes and wishing the best.

keep fighting don't give up! stay positive do what ever it takes to get back in the game. you can do it!
painful yes ! get mad as hell and fight it. you will win! good luck and best wishes keep me posted thx.
bob

We know its going to be a LONG road, but we're in it for the long haul. The PT worked her good yesterday and when she was through, she picked up the wife's walker and brought it over to where I was setting. Then she handed the wife a couple poles, like ski poles and told her to start walking. She made two trips. I'll say this...... it sure was good to see the look on her face and how her eyes lit up. She finally recognized that there is improvement.

There is no good time for this but, if anything winter is better. With all the things going on, we just stay home. When I get groceries I get up early and am at the store when the doors are unlocked at 6:00am. Nobody in there but the people stacking supplies. I get what's needed and am home before daylight.

NOT TRYING TO BE POLITICAL............

We just hate the trip down below, a 450mi round day trip. All for a 10 minute discussion with the doctor. What makes it even worse, is that whole part of the state is just filthy with Covid. Hospitals are beyond full. Now I will say its not just that area alone. Its insane up here also. They're making people stay in their vehicles and treating them in the parking lot!
Then a group of people, 28 to be exact, ended up at a fish fry/birthday party. We know some of them. Now, 20 of the 28 people have Covid and 5 people that we actually know died during the holidays! One friend, only 32 that was there passed three days ago. His whole family was there and all have Covid. His dad is still in the hospital. All 5 were NOT vaccinated. Some had been vaccinated and had the booster, yet became Covid positive. To my knowledge none of those vaccinated are hospitalized.

Normal as we all used to know it, is forever changed.

yes we all must be strong in these times. covin is going to kill the many of the weak and frail. stay healthy
keep away from the sick and get your shots. i know alot of us doint want too, but the end results may kill
you. my 86 year old mother has come down with covin and i live with her. luckly she got her shot but it
still can be trouble for her. so far she holding her own,and hope it stays that way.

Latest posts

Back