What are you shooting with your Bergara barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caplock1

Reaction score
I took an Electra to the range yesterday and it, or I, didn't shoot as well as I would have expected with a Bergara barrel on it.
The first target was shot at 40 yards to make sure It would be on paper at 100 yards.
I started with 80 grains of fff Goex and stayed with that powder charge all day. On this target I was shooting a 180 grain .44 cal. XTP in a green MMP sabot.
100_1273.jpg

On this target I shot once more at 40 yards and then moved it to 100 yards and took two more shots. I adjusted the scope after the first shot at 100 yards. I also had changed the bullet and sabot combination to a 250 grain XTP in a Thompson Center Mag Express sabot.
100_1274.jpg

Here's where I have a hard time figuring this gun out. I shoot once more at 100 yards after putting up a new target and start to think I have this baby shooting great, Then I shoot two more times and can't figure it out. I kept checking the scope to be sure it wasn't loose.
100_1275.jpg

The scope was not loose so I put up another target and try again . Not too good untill the third shot.
100_1276.jpg

Anyway, I figured I would try a different bullet of the same weight in the same sabot with the same powder charge and see what happens. The bullet I changed to was a 250 grain Thompson Center Shockwave. When I shot this group I thought I had it all figured out.
100_1277.jpg

When I was cleaning the bore the jag came off the range rod so I took the barrel off to get it out and after putting the rifle back together I shot the last target.
I don't know What happened?
100_1278.jpg

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

My first suggestion would be to pick the bullet/sabot combo you want to use and stick with it...@ that point play with the powder charge. Move up 10g(vol) at a time until you find that sweet spot or hit the Mfg. Max charge for the gun you are using. If you dont find what your looking for change things at that point and start over. From the stuff you listed, give that T/C ShockWave a go first...

I have tinkered with 2 electras..1-blued,1-stainless and they both shoot good groups

The setup I found to work well:
Triple 7 3F(I'm sure 2F will work fine), Start at 90-100g and work your way up

Harvester Crush Rib sabots

Both of these bullets shot well out of the CR sabot
Speer 300g Deep Curl (454 Casull 452 Diameter)
Barnes 250g TEZ bullet

Only other notes:
-For range work I spit patch in between each shot with any powder but BH209
-Every 3-4 shots I broom off the face of the breech plug in the electra with the blue broom that goes on the end of the ramrod
-I pull the BP and clean after 6 shots or so and put back with grease on the threads
-I use a "F.A.T. Wrench" made by Wheeler to tighten stock/action screws to in./lbs so I set the torque back the same everytime

Here is a link or two:
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t2604-cva-electra-300g-speer-dc-w-cr-and-t-7

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5934399/Official_CVA_Electra_Thread_Po#Post5934399

Keep us posted...you'll get her shooting I have no doubt

Good Luck

Chuck

I agree that you need to change the powder load with the same bullet to find what the gun likes. Same powder with different bullets won't work. Different bullets will be closer together than different powder loads.

80gr of Goex is an ok load for a PRB. It's pretty weak for modern bullets in an inline. It equal to 65-70gr of BH 209. Most of us shoot 90-110gr of BH 209, because that where it's most accurate.

Increase your powder loads, and see if the groups don't get better.

I shoot BH209 100 & 110gr in my guns and it seems to shoot well with just about any bullit sabot combo I have tried in them.

If you want to shoot Goex or T7 I would start with 90gr and up your powder in 5gr. increments until you find your guns sweet spot. EVERY Gun has one you just need to work with it until you find yours. MOST guns sweet spot is between 90 & 110gr of powder! Also don't worry about the bulls eye @ 100 yds yet start at 40 or 50 yds and just shoot for groups right now. Once you have it sighted in @ the shorter range DO NOT ADDJUST SCOPE any more with all combos you try and you will be able to see what groups the best as far as Powder / bullit / sabot combo goes. I usually shoot a 5 shot group this way a 5 shot group will give you a better reading as to how a sertain combo is going to group. Then you can see how that combo shoots @ 75 or 100 yds. Then do your scope adjustments for your Bulls Eye.

Just my thoughts.
May or maynot help.
Good Luck and keep us posted on everything.

CoyoteChuck52,
Would that be the black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot for a .451/.452 caliber bullet? Item #H15045 BR?

My .45 Apex has a Bergarra barrel on it, and so far it seems to shoot just about anything I run through it with a little tweaking. It's simply the most accurate, user-friendly muzzleloader I've ever owned. I have to admit though :Hide: that I've been mooching off "The Shooting Range" forum for loads...but again that's why they are posted. My Apex shines with bullets in the 195-200 grain range. :)

With my Apex .50 cal, I'm shooting the Hornady Monoflex .458/250grain in an orange MMP sabot pushed by 100 grains of BH209. Haven't decided what combo for my others yet.

Latest posts

Back