what broadhead will you be using for deer this year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day I killed javelina with the old Bear broadheads with the razor insert, and they worked quickly.
Many, many years ago my favorite archery shop, a single owner in a basement, decided to liquidate and retire. I bought a full case and a partial case of those Bear broadheads with the razor inserts. At that time a full case was 500 broadheads. Shortly after the fella retired, Bear stopped making those broadheads and I made a mint selling them. I killed maybe twenty deer using them. They were a solid head and bone didn't faze them. Zwicky's were another great broadhead from back in the 60's.

went to bass pro yesterday and picked up two packs of grim reaper pro series whitetail specials .
i called GR and they said the whitetail extremes wouldn't be available for 2 weeks :( . Didn't notice till I got home that I got the 100 grain version but at a estimated 390ish fps on deer I'm not worried about FOC .

Pathfinder did you use a vertical bow or a crossbow ? If a crossbow did you dental band them ? Your experience echos a lot of other comments I've read on forums .

thanks to all who posted here :)
Crossbow. TenPoint Vengeant S440, EVO-X arrows. Not sure how fast they're moving but it shoot flat as hell out to 40 yards which is as far as any of my shots would most likely be. That 6 point last year was dead before he knew it. Very fast.

Crossbow. TenPoint Vengeant S440, EVO-X arrows. Not sure how fast they're moving but it shoot flat as hell out to 40 yards which is as far as any of my shots would most likely be. That 6 point last year was dead before he knew it. Very fast.

that's a heck of a dang nice X-bow !
thanks .

that's a heck of a dang nice X-bow !
thanks .
I agree...it's an amazingly bow. IMO it's one of the best bows TenPoint has ever made. I'm a hunter. Hunters find themselves in a offhand shooting situation more times than not. The Vengeant S440 with its longer length and very narrow width lends itself to excellent offhand stability...by design it resists tilting off center which makes it uncannily stable. I've shot everything TenPoint has made since the Vengent and when it comes to actual field stability and usefulness, the Vengent has no peer.

Each to their own but I don't hunt deer often, preferring lean mountain pork meat. For decades I've been using the same glue-on, two blade, COC broadheads on everything I hunt.

Vertical bows and long arrows got solid Zwicky Eskimos for years. When age and health stopped my 50-100 arrow per day "addiction", a move to crossbows required adding the now discontinued Magnus Classic 2 (formerly MA II) vented heads, because they don't wind plane at higher speeds on short arrows. FWIW no animal has ever taken one of these thru the vitals and lived.

Guess I'm the "patched round ball" of archery.

I've tried a few different ones over the years but I settled on 3 blade 100 gr muzzys on Gold Tip arrows for my compound. NAP Thunderheads are a close second. For my stick bows, I shoot Windsle Woodsmen 125 gr.

I've used thunderheads for a long time and have never had any problems with em! I did buy some Swackers in 100grn for my crossbow. They fly great but I haven't shot any deer with em yet.

Thunder heads 125grn.and the heaviest arrow with a very stiff spline. I want a pass thru every time.2 holes more tyranny fluid loss and easier tracking. I use them with bow and crossbow.

Latest posts

Back