what bullet for bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with that. We're all different and have different likes and ways. Just make yourself happy and don't be concerned what others think.

old%20ron%201.JPG

I'm a might worn but I still got fire in my belly.  :lol:

You've got a few years on me, but i'll get there. Never quit, just keep moving forward. Good on ya!

thank guys, I,m going to give conicals a try, I have shot flintlocks & round balls for 40 years, this is my first percussion gun, it shoot round balls well with swiss 1 1/2 80 grains

56 kodiak shooter said:
...I,m going to give conicals a try....
If you're not happy with the accuracy, don't give up until you've tried putting a lubed felt wad between the powder and the base of the conical. In all I've tried except hollow-based minies, the lubed felt wad has greatly increased accuracy.

I would feel safe with whatever Ron recommends. Conner too. Double charge and double ball must be an old wives' tale, and you know you can't listen to old wives (except SWMBO).

-Joe

JLBSparks said:
I would feel safe with whatever Ron recommends. Conner too. Double charge and double ball must be an old wives' tale, and you know you can't listen to old wives (except SWMBO).

-Joe
That's what we use to do for proofing a new gun Joe.

I proofed a .54 Lyman Trade Rifle that way in about '88 or '89. Tied the gun to the spare tire from my truck and shot it with a string from around the corner of the garage. KA-BLAM!! I looked around the corner and saw my brand new gun in the gravel with a 12.50-33 on top of it. Needless to say, that let some of the air out of my balloon.

-Joe

shot some no excuses conicals, they shot a group about size of a soft ball, but they are way to loosed, I think I,m just going to stick to round balls

That's the way NoExcuse fit. Did you load them on a fouled barrel?

You could try the Hornady Great Plains bullet. They shoot good and fit much tighter.

I always had to use a fouled barrel. The owner of NoExcuses even recommends shooting a fouled barrel if they fit loose.

If it's still too loose for you. They never fit tight. Try the Great Plains bullet.

I did too. That's why I never warmed up to NoExcuses. I wish he'd size them a little bigger. He wants them easy to load so guys won't crush them during loading. They're pretty soft lead.

Latest posts

Back