What do I need to size and lube lead bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love my lee turret press, and that Lyman Cast Bullet book are must haves for casters or lead bullet shooters, imho. I keep an RCBS single press for the Hankins adjustable sizer that i have on the way. Up til now ive taken the lee sizing dies and just polished them out to the exact size i need for a specific gun and keep the die with that gun. For example i took a .452 die (actual size .4518) and polished it out with steel wool, bore lapping compound and a cordless drill to .4525 for my Accura .45 LR.

About 20 years ago, I stopped hand loading and gave away my Rock Chucker. Now, I find I want to size and lube lead bullets. Or Size Paper Patched Bullets. So, what do I need to do it? Do I need to purchase another Rock Chucker, or something like it? How does it lube the cast lead bullets?
Get a mold that fits your bore and with 2 hands lube away!! Get a book on paper patching (I did) along with a lot of help from folks on this and other sites . I cast /shoot bullets cast with both patched and lubed (greasers) 25 yds to 700 and it all works with out sizers and the only single stage (OLD) RCBS is used strictly for 45/70 long range . PM me for the how to if you get in a bind /been doing it for a while now (eat regular+ vent targets ) with what I make/Ed

When I pan lube my bullets I remove the entire block of lube with the bullets still in the lube and either with my thumb or something like a new pencil and push them out. Never had an issue and I’ve been doing it for years.
Well, my brother and I did it abojut 2 Months ago. It was a failure. I rthink the lube was too soft. It required cutting it out with a knife but could sill be pushed together. How hard should it be?

I was going to recommend finding a tube that you could use to cut the rounds out of the pan. Maybe this https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Round-Telescopic-Thickness-Length/dp/B07VR1SQLB/ There are 3 sizes of pack with different tubes in each, 3400, 3401, 3402.

To lube and size, I think you need to go with a different brand than Lee, I think they only have tumble lube (could be wrong).

I thought paper patch was very similar concept to cotton patched ball... The bullet is under size and the paper makes up the difference to grab the grooves.

1 lb tallow
8 oz Mink oil paste (Now, I'll use Crisco)
8 sticks of bees wax. I'll have to check the weight.

I won't use Mink oil paste again. It isn't as much of a lube as it is a water proofing agent.
I buy the NASA lube from Bullshop and add one 2oz bottle of Stihl 2-1 oil that you would use to mix with gas.

Thank you.
I tried pan lubing. The bullets were stuck in the pan with the lube. I tried dumping the pan upside down and cracking the lube. That didn't work, so I had to dig them out. When I did, the lube came off of the bullets.
I never sized the bullets, except my .58 minnie hand sizer. That's when I shot with the N/SSA. I poured and molded bullets with a friend who used the same molds. I wasn't great at it, but they worked.
As far as alloy, I know I can buy pre-made alloy as well as bullets. although the bullets are rare. More than likely, I'll have to start molding again.
I'm not sure what Lyman is doing with their product line. I don't know if they are getting out of part of the business. I asked them and never got a reply. We may have seen the last of the Lyman muzzleloaders. Who knows? I loved my Rock Chucker, so RCBS or as WP79vet said, the Lee Classic turret may be a good options. I'll go with the Lee if the threads are compatible with the other manufactures.
When I no longer use something, I give it away, which is what I did with my Rock Chucker. I still have the dies for 45/70, .444 marlin and 10mm. I would have gotten rid of them , but they are buried in a sealed ammo can, deep in my cellar.
I'm still amazed how you figured out to under bore size your paper patched bullets. I would never have thought of that.

Ron, you and a few others have not ceased to amaze me. (Lewis is another one.) The way you all come up with ideas and solutions is like Magic.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B003BWTF1E?th=1&psc=1
I line the pan with Saran Wrap, place the bullets in the pan and then pour the lube areound them. Allow the lube to just harden and then remove it all in one go. Flip it over and push the bullets through from the bottom. I seldom pan lube anymore. With longer bullets it’s a pain and a messy pain. I use a Lyman Lubrisizer and it works very well, no muss, no fuss.

Seems to me that for a given rifle, it takes a bit of trial and error to discover exactly what combination of lead hardness and bullet diameter produces the desired combination of accuracy, ease of loading, and penetration on game. So... there are two routes: 1) Buy an adjustable sizer die, which is more expensive, but lets you experiment with bullet diameter without further expense, or 2) Buy a best-guess fixed diameter die and be prepared to buy more of them... which has the lowest entry cost, but may end up being the most expensive route.

I have four 50's that all shoot my Lee 500S&W bullet the same. Two are Renegade's. They even have the same sight settings. My two mk85's shoot that same bullet great. Their sight settings were the same too.
My 45's both shoot both of the bullets I'm using the same too. They don't have the same sight settings due to they have different sights.

I have four 50's that all shoot my Lee 500S&W bullet the same. Two are Renegade's. They even have the same sight settings. My two mk85's shoot that same bullet great. Their sight settings were the same too.
My 45's both shoot both of the bullets I'm using the same too. They don't have the same sight settings due to they have different sights.
That speaks well for the manufacturing consistency of the old TC rifles, and of the mk85s. Did it take you some time to find the bullets the shoot well in those rifles?

That speaks well for the manufacturing consistency of the old TC rifles, and of the mk85s. Did it take you some time to find the bullets the shoot well in those rifles?

It did, i bought a gob of moulds. The three bullets i make now are Lee 500S&W bullet, RCBS 11mm rifle bullet, and Accurate .442 paper patched bullet. They are all so consistent it's scary. The Renegade's have green mountain LRH stainless steel barrels. The MK85's have green mountain barrels.
Every green mountain barrel that has shot those bullets all shot well.

Many years ago I had a Lee turret press. My now ex-wife bought me a Dillon 550b as a present. Thinking progressive reloading was necessary for the high volume I was shooting back then, I thought it was a good reloader untill I learned I couldn’t trust the powder dispenser. I’ve dismantled my Dillon so it is now a single stage turret press. I’ve wished many times I still had the Lee turret press. I think it’s the best choice on the market. You might even be able to go to Lee’s website and buy a factory refurbished unit at a substantially lower price.
I also use the Lee press for sizing and I have Mr Hankins excellent sizing die in it.
Iv got one these lee turret press I bought from someone for 80 dollars about 5years ago love the thing for when I make diffent types of bullets /ammo.

About 20 years ago, I stopped hand loading and gave away my Rock Chucker. Now, I find I want to size and lube lead bullets. Or Size Paper Patched Bullets. So, what do I need to do it? Do I need to purchase another Rock Chucker, or something like it? How does it lube the cast lead bullets?
I am new to casting bullets myself so I cannot vouch for how well this works but I ordered the Lyman 4500 Sizer Lubricator w/heater and I found dies for it that range from .250 to .600 in .001 increments from S & S Firearms. I will post later on how well everything works.

I am new to casting bullets myself so I cannot vouch for how well this works but I ordered the Lyman 4500 Sizer Lubricator w/heater and I found dies for it that range from .250 to .600 in .001 increments from S & S Firearms. I will post later on how well everything works.
A Lyman 450 Lube sizer ,works for me /I own 2/Ed

Lube sizer is a separate operation aside from the use of a loading press
there are companies that make lube sizing dies for large caliber's,
I just got 2 a .537 and a .540 for my 54 cal bullets
paper patching is one area I have yet to delve in, yet.

Many years ago I had a Lee turret press. My now ex-wife bought me a Dillon 550b as a present. Thinking progressive reloading was necessary for the high volume I was shooting back then, I thought it was a good reloader untill I learned I couldn’t trust the powder dispenser. I’ve dismantled my Dillon so it is now a single stage turret press. I’ve wished many times I still had the Lee turret press. I think it’s the best choice on the market. You might even be able to go to Lee’s website and buy a factory refurbished unit at a substantially lower price.
I also use the Lee press for sizing and I have Mr Hankins excellent sizing die in it.
I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds from my 550 with the stock powder dispenser. No issues. In fact I shot about a hundred .45 Colt rounds today.

Back