What I have learned this week

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sealer

Reaction score
I'm shooting 3 different ml's:
A Knight MK-85
A Knight Black Knight
And a 1st model Remington 700
All are 50 cal.
I also have 2 Lee 44 cal. bullet molds
A 240 gr HP with gas check
And a 310 gr. FN with gas check

I tried these 2 bullets with about 4 different sabots as cast ( no sizing or gas checks ) and got very unacceptable results. Sometimes I couldn't even keep 5 shots on a 2' x 3' paper @ 75 yds!!!
Then I read something on one of my frequented sites ( maybe this one ) that said the bullet isn't steered by the nose, but by the base. Sooo, I thought what the heck, I drilled out the gas check on the 310 gr. mold and turned it into a plain base mold and the groups shrank tremendously. Back to a very respectable hunting group size. Plenty good enough to head shoot deer up to 75 yds. And I like the idea of a heavyweight home cast 44 bullet.
I now return you to your regular programming,
Dennis

I'm shooting 3 different ml's:
A Knight MK-85
A Knight Black Knight
And a 1st model Remington 700
All are 50 cal.
I also have 2 Lee 44 cal. bullet molds
A 240 gr HP with gas check
And a 310 gr. FN with gas check

I tried these 2 bullets with about 4 different sabots as cast ( no sizing or gas checks ) and got very unacceptable results. Sometimes I couldn't even keep 5 shots on a 2' x 3' paper @ 75 yds!!!
Then I read something on one of my frequented sites ( maybe this one ) that said the bullet isn't steered by the nose, but by the base. Sooo, I thought what the heck, I drilled out the gas check on the 310 gr. mold and turned it into a plain base mold and the groups shrank tremendously. Back to a very respectable hunting group size. Plenty good enough to head shoot deer up to 75 yds. And I like the idea of a heavyweight home cast 44 bullet.
I now return you to your regular programming,
Dennis
Yep you no doubt heard it here . Idaholewis correctly preaches that surmon quite regular . Good to hear you say amen !!! Amazing isnt it--- even out of a sabot !!!!

Yep you no doubt heard it here . Idaholewis correctly preaches that surmon quite regular . Good to hear you say amen !!! Amazing isnt it--- even out of a sabot !!!!
You're exactly right sideshow, Idaholewis sure does. I was a fan of him, his videos & a subscriber to his Youtube channel long before I found MML & joined here. Oh what I wouldn't give to have had the opportunity to shoot with him growing up. Heck, what I wouldn't give to have an opportunity to shoot with him right now would be invaluable & amazing. The knowledge, experience & expertise he has is priceless, ( I believe he was trained by a world class champion long range ML shooter )and he is cool enough to share it all with whoever is asking & willing to learn. Kind regards

Last edited:
I didn't think that putting an un-gas checked bullet in a sabot would EVER make any difference what so ever. To me it would have been more about the sabot.
Live and Learn,
Dennis

I didn't think that putting an un-gas checked bullet in a sabot would EVER make any difference what so ever. To me it would have been more about the sabot.
Live and Learn,
Dennis
It altered the bullet base . I know thats amazing ESPECIALLY SABOTED !!!! Pressure profiles of air around an object is a Big Deal !!! Consider this , theyve been foolin around with boat tails for YEARS and Still havent truely perfected them !!!!

Well heck I shoot a Lee C452 300RF out of a Crushed Rib sabot in my inline 50 and while accuracy is good maybe it could be better removing the gas check base or adding a check to the bullet? Now I have something else to play around with I guess.

Back