Arrival of my Accurate 50-415 -I mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekjellander

Reaction score
delivered today @ 1:00 and just finished lubing the odd ones for sighting in /27 weighted 422 gr /27 @ 421 gr (keepers) still have 6 @420 gr /3@424gr all odd ball for sighting in . I hate throwing odd balls back in the pot (they have value ) as used .This is another nice mold from Tom and aluminum doesn't bother me like it does Lewis They also serve cleaning out my
Lyman 450 Lube , sizer again (hate waste) .It warmed up to 38 so it wasn't painful .Tomorrow swap out lube to
Lewis (secret lube ) as I love that stuff ! Cast with pure and ordered at 501 and using my 501 die while lubing barely touching the bullet again a very nice mold that exceeds my expectations (Tom does that) Tomorrow will see if it rains and how hard , our short range (200 yds) has a covered bench's so I'm weighting powder charges tonight incase it's not a hurricane I'll be shooting !! Knew I'd forget something important (always do) as I'm lubing before they travel to the range in their protective case I always rag off any lube off the bases because I want my dry 54 cal Dura felt wad about the same distance as my patch comes off a round ball(20 ft) or the sabot comes off a bullet @15 yds or most important the confetti from my paper patch lays
closest (about 8 ft) Anything else is a free ride for something not needed as once clearing the muzzle it's done the job (a fact most know but some don't and never will/Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0609[1].JPG
    IMG_0609[1].JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0608[1].JPG
    IMG_0608[1].JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0607[1].JPG
    IMG_0607[1].JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0610[1].JPG
    IMG_0610[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
you betchya Tom has always done very good work
Back in the day, just say a while ago, I used to order a mold on Monday and have it by Thursday and sometimes Wednesday
I have 2 molds for my 54 that Tom has made always good stuff

The only difference is the actual weight of the mold other than that there is no difference in the quality of bullets from different mold materials
however there are differences in how the mold preform when casting aluminum heats up faster and cools faster and will not rust unlike cast iron molds or steel molds, brass are my personal favorite

I used to use the Lee aluminum molds, mainly for price, when i started casting. Nothing wrong with them at all. Just different technique and speed required. Also Lee doesnt make the huge variety of molds that Accurate does. So i started using their steel molds and like that i can go slower without the mold cooling too much. Ive not used a brass mold yet.

I used to use the Lee aluminum molds, mainly for price, when i started casting. Nothing wrong with them at all. Just different technique and speed required. Also Lee doesnt make the huge variety of molds that Accurate does. So i started using their steel molds and like that i can go slower without the mold cooling too much. Ive not used a brass mold yet.
I had brass molds and got rid of them (like Lewis) heavy and finicky but some might feel different And I have no problem with aluminum and steel gets a little pricy aside from a rust issue if left in the garage over nite/Ed

You have to clean any new mould of oil etc. before using. How do you keep the steel and brass moulds from rusting when through with casting??
I spray mine with oil and place them in a zip lock bag. When I want to cast with them I spray the molds with brake cleaner or Acetone. Then I take a q-tip wipe the insides and a toothpick to clean each grove.

thank you Ed, when you use them again after cleaning, do you smoke them for a release agent. Just started dabbling in this phase of shooting lead conicals.. shorty

It gets a white powdery oxidation on it. Chemicals or dissimilar metals can cause it. Its very slow forming normally, but sitting in my garage for months or years at a time without being used it can happen.

thank you Ed, when you use them again after cleaning, do you smoke them for a release agent. Just started dabbling in this phase of shooting lead conicals.. shorty

No I just heat them up with a Mr. Torch that I purchased from Tractor Supply for a couple of minutes rotating the mold and just cast away. By heating up the mold eliminates wrinkles in the mold etc.

Just got my Lyman 44 cal mold. Haven’t tried pouring any lead yet but also have a couple of Lees so guess I’ll find out what I like soon.

Back