What is floating a barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
From what I understand of floating a barrel, there is a space between the forearm and barrel. What I don't understand is the reason behind it and how it affects your shots if the two are touching. Any input?

When a barrel heats up it expands slightly. The stock/barrel contact can shift the POI. Free floating a barrel gives the barrel room to expand so it doesn't.

My Thompson Center Black Diamond XR has a free floating barrel. The only place the barrel comes into contact with the stock is where the two locking lugs are, and where the trigger assembly fits through the stock. The idea behind this is like Patrick was explaining. As you shoot some stocks shift in the manner they hold a barrel. That is why some people bed their rifle stocks to reduce this. Well the other alternative is to free float the barrel. If you take a dollar bill you can slide that between the barrel and the stock of the Black Diamond all the way back to the first locking lug. Because the barrel floats, it can not be effected by the stock and the way it might possibly shift.

Thanks guys! That makes sense. On my new Omega, the stock is flush against the barrel all around where the two meet. So, if I have problems with POI after it heats up, then I need to float the barrel correct?

Is that normally accomplished by a lot of sanding?

Cajun said:
Thanks guys! That makes sense. On my new Omega, the stock is flush against the barrel all around where the two meet. So, if I have problems with POI after it heats up, then I need to float the barrel correct?

If you have problems with accuracy I would first... let the rifle cool between shots. Even a 10 minute break between shots when the barrel gets hot, like summer time shooting, will make a big difference.

Or, call thompson center and tell them. They will fix the problem. If they can not do it, or you do not want to go that route, I would bed the rifle. Bedding will lock the rifle into a set position in the stock and normally it really does help with the accuracy. The problem with floating the barrel is you are going to have to either raise the barrel off the lugs, which might make it not function right, or you are going to have to remove stock which could really be a mess, void your warranty, and probably not really help.

I would call T/C and discuss the accuracy issue with them. They will tell you two Pyrodex Pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. Be sure to swab between shots... I was told this when I called them about shooting conicals out of my Black Diamond XR. They give you the song and dance of, it might work but you would have better accuracy with two Pyrodex pelelts and a 250 grain Shockwave.

cayuga said:
Cajun said:

If you have problems with accuracy I would first... let the rifle cool between shots. Even a 10 minute break between shots when the barrel gets hot, like summer time shooting, will make a big difference.

Or, call thompson center and tell them. They will fix the problem. If they can not do it, or you do not want to go that route, I would bed the rifle. Bedding will lock the rifle into a set position in the stock and normally it really does help with the accuracy. The problem with floating the barrel is you are going to have to either raise the barrel off the lugs, which might make it not function right, or you are going to have to remove stock which could really be a mess, void your warranty, and probably not really help.

I would call T/C and discuss the accuracy issue with them. They will tell you two Pyrodex Pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. Be sure to swab between shots... I was told this when I called them about shooting conicals out of my Black Diamond XR. They give you the song and dance of, it might work but you would have better accuracy with two Pyrodex pelelts and a 250 grain Shockwave.

Thanks for all the good info. I was planning on going shoot in the National Forest this weekend but realized that there is the 4th riffle season still going on. I don't want to ruin someone else's hunt so I'll put off shooting it for a week. If I do have that problem and get the shockwave song and dance, I won't be happy. I can't hunt with sabots here in Colorado. With all the research I did before buying the gun, I didn't see much at all about the Omega not doing well with conicals or stock problems. Had I found this board before purchasing one, and hearing from the omega owners here, my decision may may have been different. I just need to not worry about it and get some conicals through it. If I have one that doesn't shoot conicals good, then I'll have a excuse to buy another gun.

This is the one I have.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmD ... hp?ID=8893

Latest posts

Back