Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now don't judge me guys. I'm not putting SML down I'm just curious as to why you go this route.
I'm far from a traditionalist as I shoot both sidelocks and inlines and everything from real black powder to all the subs. I like the smoke.
It the reason for SML for competition reasons or something else. I understand the velocity differences between the two but if I need that speed I'd shoot a CF.
Remember I'm not judging just curious.

Last edited:
Now don't judge me guys. I'm not putting SML down I'm just curious as to why you go this route.
I'm far from a traditionalist as I shoot both sidelocks and inlines and everything from real black powder to all the subs. I like the smoke.
It the reason for SML for competition reasons or something else. I understand the velocity differences between the two but if I need that speed I'd shoot a CF.
Remember I'm not judging just curious.
Smokeless powder is less expensive to shoot, you can get higher velocity from loads that are not obtainable with BP or its subsitutes, ease of maintenance and less recoil.

I live in Virginia and MZ season is the first two weeks of November. Always taken the first week off to hunt. I like not having to clean all of the time to prevent corrosion of my barrel. Very accurate and very deadly at the same time.

I hated the smoke obscuring the target, especially when there is little to no
breeze. The bullet surely hit, so now which way did the deer go? Did it just
drop? With smokeless, that isn't a problem. Agree with the other responses
as well.

The mechanics of muzzleloading the efficiency of Centerfire smokeless shooting combined together,, I don't care so much myself about smoke or no smoke I love shooting smokeless ,,quite honestly it's just a lot less hassle and the economics of smokeless shooting has become a lot more important to me being retired. As I think about it though it may be something a little bit deeper within my own personality I love to learn new things and especially out of the box, things that haven't been done ,,things that have been done but not fully completely explored,, to me smokeless shooting appeals a little bit too this,, we both pour powder down a barrel we both take a rod and seat the bullet on top of the powder, one method requires much different treatment of the firearm cleaning regiments Etc the other method allows me to ease of a Centerfire rifle in reference to those cleaning methods, the appeal of being able to shoot a smokeless gun 60 or 70 times without cleaning doesn't necessarily mean much to me ,and then again there's times when it's nice to be able to shoot as many times as I want and not have to include a complete cleaning regiment at the end of it,, I often read so many comments about how wonderful it is to clean a rifle they're often presented in a way that if you don't clean the way the writer does you're somehow less of a Muzzleloader I don't hear those type of comments from smokeless shooters. If any of you have purchased used smokeless guns please tell me if any one of them has a ruined or shot out Barrel,, if anyone has purchased a used black powder Muzzleloader only to find that it has some serious Barrel issues,,. And one other thing and it is the main thing my smokeless guns exhibit phenomenal accuracy I can come close with black horn but I cannot match that accuracy there may be one particular bullet with the Black Horn load that is just as accurate but across the board many rifles,, smokeless hands down is more accurate.

Most reasons for me have already been said. My main reason I like them was to skirt the straight wall cartridge law. Although my main property’s are rifle county’s I always get invited to shotgun/straight wall county’s to hunt. Some of these may be a small patch of woods with plenty of open ground before the next patch of woods. Use to suck watching a big buck lay down in tractor tire tracks 250-300 yards out. Smokeless solved that for me. Since I already had smokeless guns I wasn’t buying a straight wall cartridge gun.

For me, sml just feels like a normal progression of muzzleloader shooting. I couldn’t legally hunt with with a sml, and I’m not looking to shoot high speed or long distances. The guns are more expensive, true. But the accuracy and maintenance are as good or better and the supplies don’t cost any more. In the case of the powder the cost is even lower than bh209, as I’m sure you already know. I was already shooting with the bullets, breech plugs, and primers/modules needed for smokeless. The sml rifle was all i was lacking. I still love shooting a sidelock and may even get a flintlock someday.

I absolutely love the diversity and choices in muzzleloading now a days. And I use all of them. From my sidelocks to my Whites, to my Omegas and Encores.
One week I am pouring Swiss 2F down the bore of one of my sidelocks for a hunt. The next week finds me pouring H4198 down the bore of my SML for another hunt.
I love all my children the same.;)

PS.....I have not taken my White .54 cal Bison out for a hunt in quite a few years. I will be sighting her in this weekend to get ready for the Maryland black bear season at the end of the month.

Jack, you pulled a Md tag. Congrats good luck. I’ll be out for early Pa. Never been lucky enough to pull a tag for Md.

I’ll step into this with a few observations. Years ago when the in-line ML’s started to take hold and BP substitutes were prevalent buyers were looking for rule beaters to hunt muzzle loader seasons. This type of rifle, it’s powder and cornucopia of bullets has essentially taken over the muzzle loading market. I personally think it’s kind of sad that so many shooters aren’t interested in preserving the original intend Which is shooting and hunting like our fore fathers did. Not unlike side scan fish finder bottom machines, underwater cameras or setting up half a dozen trail cameras instead of learning to track or stalk. Yep I’m a ludite

OK I'm convinced that smokeless has its advantages. I still like the smoke and being retired and on a fixed income supporting two houses I don't think I could afford one now anyway. With all the posts stated above if I get an opportunity I just may get on or have one built.
Just a couple questions. 1. Can the 209 conversion like the Badger Ridge one bee good enough for smokeless? What would be a decent price to rebarrel a Rem 700ML to a .45 cal smokeless? I don't need a top of the line barrel just one with decent quality.

OK I'm convinced that smokeless has its advantages. I still like the smoke and being retired and on a fixed income supporting two houses I don't think I could afford one now anyway. With all the posts stated above if I get an opportunity I just may get on or have one built.
Just a couple questions. 1. Can the 209 conversion like the Badger Ridge one bee good enough for smokeless? What would be a decent price to rebarrel a Rem 700ML to a .45 cal smokeless? I don't need a top of the line barrel just one with decent quality.
I expect you could do it for under $1k

When I converted my 700 back when Luke had the Pacnor barrels at the end it was roughy 1000.00. Be cheaper just to pick up a cva scout and convert. Side note I still enjoy are primitive season with side lock just as much as any other season.

I already have the 700ML I'd just need the barrel. I befriended a gunsmith not far from me which may be able to do it at a lesser price and he is really good. He has a machinist background too so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for him. I'd have to check on the price.
I wonder if another option would be to send the action to Bob Hoyt and have him reline the barrel and rifle it to a 1:18" twist. Would that withstand the smokeless pressures?

Just a suggestion. Maybe check around for a pre-fit barrel on the different sites.(Hank's, Doug's). I think there was one posted in the classifieds on one of the boards.

My nickel my turn. I have one sml, i have 5 traditional ML's n 1 1860 New Army .44. I/we can all shoot black or Sub powder from them. I have not shot a tick toter in 5 years with my sml. I want n like my Freedom of Choice. I find that almost every State caters to rifle/firearm season before ML season. I am so Blessed this year for 3 days starting on Oct. 6th we have antlerless season open. I will be out there using one of my ML's. I don't own a CF weapon n could care less. I am n odd Duck, i like to hunt close to my tick toter range. I want them to know i am hunting them. People who shoot tick toters n other big game at long distance to me isn't a hunt. Its more of a kill, look at me i killed a animal at 400 yards. Me to them the animal did not even know you were in the same County with it !

Back