Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nickel my turn. I have one sml, i have 5 traditional ML's n 1 1860 New Army .44. I/we can all shoot black or Sub powder from them. I have not shot a tick toter in 5 years with my sml. I want n like my Freedom of Choice. I find that almost every State caters to rifle/firearm season before ML season. I am so Blessed this year for 3 days starting on Oct. 6th we have antlerless season open. I will be out there using one of my ML's. I don't own a CF weapon n could care less. I am n odd Duck, i like to hunt close to my tick toter range. I want them to know i am hunting them. People who shoot tick toters n other big game at long distance to me isn't a hunt. Its more of a kill, look at me i killed a animal at 400 yards. Me to them the animal did not even know you were in the same County with it !
Well the choice of firearm is an individual choice but as for wanting game to know I'm hunting them - UH NO!
Shooting an animal that is on full alert with adrenaline coursing through their veins can often lead to a longer blood trail or worse a bad hit. In 55+ years of hunting and dozens of deer harvested can count on one hand the number of deer that knew I was there before I shot them. Many, especially during archery hunts, I shot took only a couple bounds, stopped and looked around not knowing what happened and then just fell over.

Well the choice of firearm is an individual choice but as for wanting game to know I'm hunting them - UH NO!
Shooting an animal that is on full alert with adrenaline coursing through their veins can often lead to a longer blood trail or worse a bad hit. In 55+ years of hunting and dozens of deer harvested can count on one hand the number of deer that knew I was there before I shot them. Many, especially during archery hunts, I shot took only a couple bounds, stopped and looked around not knowing what happened and then just fell over.
You simply took my part of post out of context. My implied words were meant as up close n personal hunting. If a person thinks the deer don't know you are in an area, then its all good. They may not know i am up in my climber until they cross my walk in path. I really dislike it when i make a post n someone seems to challenge my exp. 64 years.

Ya know you posted the ? n then come back to me with your opinion. Personally we all have experience. I am getting to the point of defending my posts. I think maybe its time to stop answering members ? Threads or just get off the Forum. I have a couple of things to do for people here. Then i am going to lie in the cut. May you have a good day n a better one tomorrow.

Smoke I wasn't challenging your experience. I just took your words as they were written. I have no desire to condem anyone their firearm of choice as long as its legal. I too like to get up close. Sometimes close enough to see the snot on their nose!

OK I'm convinced that smokeless has its advantages. I still like the smoke and being retired and on a fixed income supporting two houses I don't think I could afford one now anyway. With all the posts stated above if I get an opportunity I just may get on or have one built.
Just a couple questions. 1. Can the 209 conversion like the Badger Ridge one bee good enough for smokeless? What would be a decent price to rebarrel a Rem 700ML to a .45 cal smokeless? I don't need a top of the line barrel just one with decent quality.
Sending it to McGowan would be the cheapest way to go, I believe around $500 to rebarrel. Complete build like the one pictured in the 2k range after everything. Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, Boyd's stock, bedding and gunsmithing etc....

Attachments

• 20230603_173838.jpg
    20230603_173838.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Sending it to McGowan would be the cheapest way to go, I believe around $500 to rebarrel. Complete build like the one pictured in the 2k range after everything. Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, Boyd's stock, bedding and gunsmithing etc....
I might be able to live with that! I just took inventory and I have 20 lb of various subs and 9 lb of black powder by Goex, Swiss and Schuetzen. I'll be good for a while.

I also liked to be as close as possible to the deer and around 100 yds is about my limit for a shot. I've killed them from as close as 7' and have even killed deer on the run with my flintlock smoothbore. While in the middle of a huge hay field I sat behind a large round bale - hiding and it also made a good rifle rest - I killed at least two at 100 yds (+ or -) with two of my .50s. I even killed a buck with my Ruger SBH at 90 paced yards; I don't use scopes on anything other than cartridge rifles. I haven't hunted them in years but still have the memories. With the exception of big fields the average shots I had in my native Georgia were probably under 30 yards.

My nickel my turn. I have one sml, i have 5 traditional ML's n 1 1860 New Army .44. I/we can all shoot black or Sub powder from them. I have not shot a tick toter in 5 years with my sml. I want n like my Freedom of Choice. I find that almost every State caters to rifle/firearm season before ML season. I am so Blessed this year for 3 days starting on Oct. 6th we have antlerless season open. I will be out there using one of my ML's. I don't own a CF weapon n could care less. I am n odd Duck, i like to hunt close to my tick toter range. I want them to know i am hunting them. People who shoot tick toters n other big game at long distance to me isn't a hunt. Its more of a kill, look at me i killed a animal at 400 yards. Me to them the animal did not even know you were in the same County with it !
I agree......with all the new tec, stuff you don't have to scout or put the time in and learn the animal you are HUNTING.put up a drone and get the lay of the land, then put out a camera that calls your phone and lets ya know what the critter looks like and what time the came by.them there is food plots(bate)?you can add my 2 cents to that nickle.

For 20 years my hunting was with mostly flintlocks and exclusively with flint the last ten years of my hunting career. I no longer hunt anything now and haven't for 6 years.

Sounds to me like there are as many reasons for going smokeless, as there are shooters. The “Why” really isn’t important, imho. Shooting MLs, whether flintlock, caplock, matchlock, inline or smokeless, is the knot that binds us together as a group(of nutters). It’s what we all love doing for our own reasons. I like all the different MLs. What ever the next evolution of MLs turns out to be, i hope i will be there to try one out.

Back