What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready for some range time to break in the Brux Omega. Just need some time and decent weather. Cleaned out the bore with kroil oil today. That cosmoline is tough stuff, 21 patches and bore brushing i was finally content. Got the cheeck piece installed to my eye height. Now for a few break in loads at twenty five yards.
Yeah that nitriding leaves a bit of residue in the bore.

I got a ground to fit onto the pecan stock today and ground it down to start finishing I'm not sure what it is I think it was a trap and skeet butt pad it was something that I lucked up on in a gun shop that was big enough to go on to the back of this fat stock,,1 if you have a fat stock and you're trying to find a recoil pad it's not as easy as it seems a lot of people advertise them but not many actually have them available
That looks really nice bro

Been wondering for a while why the sister site has a popular thread by this title and we don’t, so…

What muzzleloading-related stuff did you do today?
don't know why the sister has a brother,but it's ok.I got a call from a buddy this am.He was upset with the new CVA optima v2 he just bought.We went to the range to sight it in yesterday.He wants to use open sights but no mater what he did he couldn't get poi to move.He decided he was going to put a scope on it.I suggested a Williams western sight.he said no, he was going with a scope.The straight line stock wouldn't allow him to properly place his cheek.His face was placed so low trying to use the open sites that his cheek bone was placed on the stock just below his eye. putting a scope on it would allow him to raise his head for proper placement on the stock and he knows a scope can be adjusted !And yup he found out how crappy the ram rod is.I could feel his frustration.I wanted him to try using loose powder but he insisted on using white hots.He said they would be easier to use while hunting.I told him, if you are using a speed loader you are going to pop the cap and pore what ever your using down the barrel?He is going to try get it to shoot accurately with the White Hots and the scope,if not he will try developing a load with loose powder.I told him that sounded good.I had fun with my old TC Hawken while he messed with new gun.He will have my support thru the process.

Years ago I setup my Knight with a Williams peep & hooded front site.the front site had a fiber optic bead.I milled a slot in the top of the hood to allow more light.It worked great.the new Williams western looks great.With my old eyes, I use scopes now.there legal here.Wickedwagens let us know how it works for you.

It was actually yesterday shooting session. I used 31.2 gr 4759, used both veggie n wool wads. Used SST n XTP .40 200 gr bullets, also both smooth n crushed rib sabots. Shot in 12-15 mph wind, target was 75 yards n i only had a sandbag under the forearm. Shot 15 times 2" group. I was hoping for all in 1" or less at 75 but did not happen. I will bump up to 32.2 gr. n try them

Took the Patriot for a walk today for a change up. Had a bout of CRS. Started out in garage, loaded the gun with 58.0 grs. Weighted of N120, veggie wad, and a 275 gr. Fury black tip. Seated bullet and broke the ram rod off 3/4” above barrel. Pissed me off as i never broke one before, maybe to much loading pressure. So hunting i went, 3/4” above barrel is new loaded witness mark. Lol. Got down in woods, found some fresh deer tracks, stinking coyotes following them also. Went about 400 yds in a slow 3 step walk into the wind. Seen a deer coming my way about 85 yards away, easy to see as a little snow on ground. Leaned the patriot against a tree i put between me and the deer. At about 75 yards i would have a clear shot, so i put the cross hairs on her shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Bang flop, she never knew what hit her. The bullet took out both shoulders and gelled the lungs. Awesome performance for a bullet. Went to fill tag out before the gut job and wore a different coat last night hunting. Darn had to go back and fetch tags. Lol picked up the Patriot slung her over shoulder headed to truck for tag. About halfway the sling came undone and barrel fell to ground and filled with mud. Darn it. The front swivel unscrewed from forarm. Got to truck, got tag and placed it in deers ear.. now for a pic. Darn it where the heck did i leave that phone, its in truck too… lol Later at home i locktighted swivel stud back in, never have to worry about that again. Got the broken end out of ramrod. Still long enough to fix, i took a die and tapped the end long enough to fit brass end. Ground the plastic threads off, fit pretty good, locktighted brass end on, done. Time for beer and sandwich after a busy morning.IMG_3394.jpegIMG_3395.jpeg

Got the Omega out during regular season and took it hunting. Already punched a buck tag, so was looking for hogs or yotes. Nothing. But was kinda nice to have it out again. Texas ML season opens in Jan.

Latest posts

Back