What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a referral phone call yesterday from Bill at Northern Precision, it was a gentleman in Washington State wanting to know how large a bullet he could shoot in a 28 twist, and of course was talking jacketed bullets he's familiar with big lead ,but it was looking for a jacketed bullet he could shoot in plastic, I let him know about the replacement Omega barrels that Woodman offers, he got excited and of course that started talking up a little bit of my own fast twist experience a month ago with the 22 twists and 20 I asked him to give Mark at Woodman a call and take a look at possibly going 50 cal fast twist or 45 fast twist and sizing bullets,but an Omega with a fast twist 50 cal Barrel would give him a lot of bullet options between the 300 and 400 grain range for elk hunting which is what he was wanting the rifle for, I think he hunts in Oregon though I'm not sure he said that he could use sabots. I hope to see others considered the 50 cal with a fast twist Barrel.

I had a referral phone call yesterday from Bill at Northern Precision, it was a gentleman in Washington State wanting to know how large a bullet he could shoot in a 28 twist, and of course was talking jacketed bullets he's familiar with big lead ,but it was looking for a jacketed bullet he could shoot in plastic, I let him know about the replacement Omega barrels that Woodman offers, he got excited and of course that started talking up a little bit of my own fast twist experience a month ago with the 22 twists and 20 I asked him to give Mark at Woodman a call and take a look at possibly going 50 cal fast twist or 45 fast twist and sizing bullets,but an Omega with a fast twist 50 cal Barrel would give him a lot of bullet options between the 300 and 400 grain range for elk hunting which is what he was wanting the rifle for, I think he hunts in Oregon though I'm not sure he said that he could use sabots. I hope to see others considered the 50 cal with a fast twist Barrel.
Yeah, no sabots during muzzy seasons in OR, last I checked.

I brought my barrel, ramrod and spinjag to work. I made a few modifications on the ramrod and spinjag. I brought the barrel to check the modifications. Also, called MMP about sabots.

Last edited:
I checked the trigger on the new Scout consistently around 3lbs, just a 🤏 higher than I like. Maybe it will come down with use.

My Scout has a great trigger. And shoots fantastic. I sure don't know why people complain about CVA. I have 3 CVAs and they all shoot very good and look good too.
On my Scouts (2 rifles, pistol) are around that (3lbs). I'm use to the triggers on my Rem 700 (Rifle Basix trigger) and my Encore. They're both lighter. For factory, I think they're better than most.

Last night, after getting home, and hurrying my youngest son to shower and get to bed, I tried sizing a bullet to the new Scout barrel. I didn't clean the barrel like I wanted to. I was just wanting to get some idea how the barrel is. It seems to be pretty consistent.
If you're sizing jacketed bullets I suggest you only size what you plan on shooting during a session and when you do size them run them through the sizer at least 2 times, 3 is better. Sizing only once and they will spring back. If you have an adjustable sizing die adjust so the first time the bullet can just be started. Then run it through 2 more times and try it. You may find that its perfect or that you may have to open up the sizing die a touch. You want to start your bullet then a nice firm even pressure. You don't want to lean on the ramrod nor do you want the weight of the ramrod to push it down. Somewhere in between. Encore50 has a scale he uses to determine his seating pressure but he shoots competition and heavy charges out of a fully custom rifle. The average shooter need not be that picky. BTW, I found 300 gr Hornady SSTs to shoot great with 55 gr of H4198.

If you're sizing jacketed bullets I suggest you only size what you plan on shooting during a session and when you do size them run them through the sizer at least 2 times, 3 is better. Sizing only once and they will spring back. If you have an adjustable sizing die adjust so the first time the bullet can just be started. Then run it through 2 more times and try it. You may find that its perfect or that you may have to open up the sizing die a touch. You want to start your bullet then a nice firm even pressure. You don't want to lean on the ramrod nor do you want the weight of the ramrod to push it down. Somewhere in between. Encore50 has a scale he uses to determine his seating pressure but he shoots competition and heavy charges out of a fully custom rifle. The average shooter need not be that picky. BTW, I found 300 gr Hornady SSTs to shoot great with 55 gr of H4198.
Fury shouldn't have any spring back, from what I read, but I date marked the bullet in a box with the pertinent info to check later. I only have 1 "can" of IMR 4198, my father-in-law gave me when his brothers used to load. It's still in the box with the stuff he gave me, still sitting on my loading bench.

Back