what powder for a sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering for the average shooter is there a big difference in powders for sidelocks, so let's say keeping with FF I have Goex, Pyrodex RS, H777 and I dont have any but let's throw it in the mix Swiss is there a big difference in ignition, burn rate consistency and accurate measuring. I always just shot what I had on hand and never really thought about it as long as it was accurate for me what are your thoughts thanks and have a great long weekend and stay safe

Just my thoughts... If you want to stay in the older era - I really think Swiss is a great powder. It can create great velocity equally and exceeding many of the other BP and BP subs. Problem, real BP is a little more difficult to come by because of regulations vendors must follow to sell the product.

My personal choice, especially using cap ignition is T7 powder. T7-2f works for me great and actually T7-3f works great also. Since the powder is so fine it burns very quickly and I believe more clean than does 2f. Because of its burning rate it does produce a little more peak pressure than 2f often resulting in greater velocity.

Again just my view...

I used Pyrodex in .45 and .50 sidelocks for years without any problems, it was all I had easy access to. I’ve used Goex 3F recently because I could get it.

I shoot mostly flint locks, so it has to be real BP for me. Goex, Swiss, Old Enysford, Shutzen, Elephant and Wano. I have used them all over the years, but now I pretty much stick to Goex in either 3F or 2f formulation depending on the caliber I am shooting.

Average shooter (the guy that goes out 1-2x/year) - No.
Those that shoot quite a bit will take the time to experiment - imo.

great thanks for all the info ill start burning powder as soon as I can find more #11s thats the hard part

Average shooter (the guy that goes out 1-2x/year) - No.
Those that shoot quite a bit will take the time to experiment - imo.
Yup, what he said.

The casual shooter or the shooter who is only plinking a couple times per year, use whatever and enjoy but that shooter will never know just what his gun can really do. Not all BP is the same and just like gasoline there are brands and grades. Best stuff available in the US is Old E and Swiss. Both are very consistent and the choice of serious competition shooters for a reason.

2f v 3f, there's a real topic for a long discussion. Bottom line, what works best in your gun is your answer. In my muskets, I get great accuracy with 3f Old E and fouling isn't a problem. Past the powder, caps are a huge variable as is the condition of the nipple. For musket caps it's RWS or Schutzen. CCI caps are garbage, no question on that. Nipple condition will affect pressure and ignition and should be considered a wear item to be replaced on a regular basis to maintain accuracy.

I shoot flintlock almost exclusively, so it has to be blackpowder. Most of my powder, much leftover from BPCRS days, is Goex, and my rocklocks seem to prefer fffg. Unlike substitutes, real BP has no shelf life, and a much lower ignition temperature.

I shoot flintlock almost exclusively, so it has to be blackpowder. Most of my powder, much leftover from BPCRS days, is Goex, and my rocklocks seem to prefer fffg. Unlike substitutes, real BP has no shelf life, and a much lower ignition temperature.
Real black powder has the longest shelf life.

Real black is the way to go for easy ignition and easy cleaning. I am nto hung up on brands. I use Goex or Schutzen but I tend to buy more Goes because I prefer to support an American manufacturer.

Back