What powder? POLL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks all.

Jon, I think it is an Encore. it has the drop down hammer/trigger and laminated thumbhole stock; i put a Nikon BDC muzzle-loader scope on it. i love the gun. last year i drilled a whitetail through the heart at 267 yards, then got a coyote running through the woods later the same day. i was starting to feel like Davy Crockett. : )

yes, i use a round ball in the Renegade. it is the older barrel with the slower(?) round ball twist. i wish i could get a barrel that i could shoot sabots, but this kills deer with round balls (as long as i practice to get used to the set trigger : ). i was told they no longer make barrels for it? i hope i can get the MZ to ignite reliably. is it better or about the same as the BH209 as far as ignition?

Pyrodex is bad Jon. Besides being more corrosive than any other sub, and black powder. It's not as accurate either.

Nobody uses it in target competition.

I use Pyrodex RS & P for fun shoots in side locks, revolvers, and pistols during warm weather, only because I have almost 20#. It may loose strength once open but is fine for plinking as I found one that had been opened for years.

For hunting and cold weather shooting I use GOEX.

I use Goex for all but one gun, I use BH209 in it.

Jon wrote: "Pyrodex isn't as bad as they make it out to be."

Yes it is, Jon.

Oh bull. How many rotten barrels do you guys own that you bought brand new and are damaged from pyrodex? And be honest, if they are damaged, someone didnt do a good job of cleaning. I know all of our guns has fired a LOT of pyrodex over the past 15 years and guess what? Those bores are still in solid shape.

Not as accurate?  :rolling on flo you really think you can slip that one by me Petey?

I dont really care who uses what in competition because it really doesnt matter. Its target shooting and that normally translates into stuff thats not used in the field.

Do you see guys in the field shooting their bows at deer with 3 foot long stabilizers? :D :D

dagraybill said:
thanks all.

Jon, I think it is an Encore. it has the drop down hammer/trigger and laminated thumbhole stock; i put a Nikon BDC muzzle-loader scope on it. i love the gun. last year i drilled a whitetail through the heart at 267 yards, then got a coyote running through the woods later the same day. i was starting to feel like Davy Crockett. : )

yes, i use a round ball in the Renegade. it is the older barrel with the slower(?) round ball twist. i wish i could get a barrel that i could shoot sabots, but this kills deer with round balls (as long as i practice to get used to the set trigger : ). i was told they no longer make barrels for it? i hope i can get the MZ to ignite reliably. is it better or about the same as the BH209 as far as ignition?
Drop down trigger sounds more like an Omega and that's a good gun for an inline.

As for black mz, it does light off a LOT easier than BH209 but not as clean, powerful and it is quite a bit more picky with how it needs to be compressed. It LOVES heavy bullets. If they are lighter 250gr bullets, it loves a tight fitting sabot/conical. You can set MZ off with a <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> cap where as with bh209, it must be a good 209 primer and the right breech plug design to reliably go off.

With that flinter though, get you some good ol Goex 2fg and you'll just love the results so much more. Do a search for PowderInc they don't charge the hazmat fee if i remember correctly.

Corrosion from Pyrodex is one problem but shelf life and ignition problems in damp weather are the ones I had found back when I used it when it was a new "wonderful" ( :barf: )  product. If I want it to go off, I use real black powder. I have had 2 deer escape in the past when using Pyrodex from slow to NO ignition in our hot humid swamp conditions.
As long as black powder doesn't get wet, it goes off.

shelf life has never been an issue for me. You know how they say american pioneer sucks up moisture? I keep it stored in my powder horn with no ill affect. I always seal my nipple with teflon tape and an ear plug over the end of the nipple to keep moisture out while its loading for a hunt. Little things like this are what one must learn to make it a sure fire.

I've also switched to the knight red hot nipples as they give me zero trouble with the subs. The hot shot i was having hang fires with.

I see no advantage for Pyrodex that outweigh the disadvantages.

Sidelocks were designed to shoot black powder, and I feel they still should be today.

patocazador said:

Yes it is, Jon.
is that a flintlock you use BH209 in? any problems with ignition?

I doubt you can get a flinter to work with BH 209. Maybe if you use black powder in the pan, and as a primer in the chamber to set off the BH. Not recommended.

FrontierGander said:
dagraybill said:
thanks all.

Drop down trigger sounds more like an Omega and that's a good gun for an inline.

As for black mz, it does light off a LOT easier than BH209 but not as clean, powerful and it is quite a bit more picky with how it needs to be compressed. It LOVES heavy bullets. If they are lighter 250gr bullets, it loves a tight fitting sabot/conical. You can set MZ off with a <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> cap where as with bh209, it must be a good 209 primer and the right breech plug design to reliably go off.

With that flinter though, get you some good ol Goex 2fg and you'll just love the results so much more. Do a search for PowderInc they don't charge the hazmat fee if i remember correctly.
i think you are right, it is an Omega.
Hard to imagine BH209 would be cleaner. i was using MZ in the flintlock and it seemed like smokeless powder compared to Goex or RS. ten shots and the patched roundball was still gliding down, and when i cleaned it, there was practically nothing on the patch. in PA we have to use metal sights (they now let us use a peep) so like i said, a 1.5 inch group at 50 was probably as good as i can shoot it. should i try to pack the ball down?
also,  i had some miss fires, but i think if i load up the pan?

Muley said:
I doubt you can get a flinter to work with BH 209. Maybe if you use black powder in the pan, and as a primer in the chamber to set off the BH. Not recommended.
i was using 4f in the pan with the MZ. why is it not recommended?. ... oh, you said in the chamber too. ok, i wasn't doing that with the MZ either

dagraybill said:
patocazador said:

Yes it is, Jon.
is that a flintlock you use BH209 in? any problems with ignition?
The only thing that will work consistently in a flintlock is real black powder. No subs are used by flintlock shooters.

BH209 is the most difficult powder to ignite. A centerfire primer is needed to have consistent ignition.

i'm with Jon on Pyrodex. Used the stuff for years. My 15 year old CVA StagHorn has fired at least 2,000 rounds using Pyrodex. The bore looks new.

Last evening i cleaned up a very nice Knight original disc rifle. The bore is ruined: The owner fired the gun several times in muzzleloader season and set the gun aside until yesterday. He ruined his gun with Triple Seven powder. i steadfastly refuse to try and salvage a barrel with a badly rusted bore.

dagraybill said:
thanks guys.
I am in central PA, do you think i will be able to find BH209 for my in-line any where? i have looked a little and they say i will have to order it and have it shipped.
This is a little old, but yes, Cabelas carries it.  My brother-in-law takes the 3 hour trip down to PA to purchase it there.

Muley said:
Depends on the gun i'm buying it for.
x2
I voted Goex though because that's all i use in my sidelocks & flintlocks. However in my inlines I use Pyrodex RS loose, Pyrodex pellets, T7 loose & pellets and lastly the T7 Magnum pellets.

Frontier Gander
I like the tip you gave with using an earplug over the nipple, I will give that a try. New or used lol..
Any good tips for keeping the moisture out of a flintlock?
Thanks again,

Sgt Recoil

Back