What Powder to use

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branman0920

Reaction score
I recently have got me a muzzle loader and need to decide what powder to use. Here is what I have.
1. CVA Hunter Bolt
2. 1075 Dynamit Noble Caps

The powder I used to sight in my scope was the Pyrodex 30 grain pellet and it shot fine. I recently used the Triple Se7ven 50/50 and could not get it to shoot at all. I also have the Pyrodex FFG loose powder.

Which sshould I use?
1. Pyrodex 30gr pellet
2. Pyrodex FFG Powder

I use and love alliant black mz, one to think about. Burns real clean too!

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk

Because you are shooting a #11 cap ignition system I would not shoot pellets at all. Instead get some loose Pyrodex RS and a powder measure. If I were shooting your rifle, I would try 80 grains of loose powder (plenty of power there) and then work up. My CVA loves 90 grains of loose powder. Good luck with your rifle.

+1 on what Cayuga said about switching from pellets to loose powder. Triple Se7en loose and Real Blackpowder loose ignite easier than Pyrodex loose.

I have two questions here do you think the pyrodex pellets will be fine until I can get some powder and if I put powder in it will it leak down through the nipple.

Pellets of any type were not meant for #11 cap ignition. So your taking a chance with them possibly failing to fire. I would not trust them with cap ignition if I was out hunting. Best bet is Loose Powder. Pyrodex pellets are treated on one end with a little black Powder (Dark end) and need to be dropped down the bore treated end first. They may be a tad easier to ignite than the 777 Pellets but still dicey with caps. Loose powder will not fall though the nipple. #11 ignition was made for loose powder. Your best bet is Loose Black Powder, Pyrodex RS or Select, or 777.

As they said, #11 caps and pellets are not a sure thing. Put it this way, I would not hunt with that. Because if the buck of a life time came through, I really would not be sure of it going off like I want. What I would do is since your pellets are Pyrodex, get a loose jug of Pyrodex now. Work a load up with the loose Pyrodex. And then when on the range having fun, dump 5 grains of loose Pyrodex RS down the bore, then your pellets and shoot that. The loose should act as a duplex, throw a large flame to the back of the pellets. And be sure to put the pellets in the right the right way. Push the pipe clean through them and then act like a crane, and swing them over the bore and into it. One side of that pellet has a black powder skin on them to make them go off better.

I personally would not use pyrodex powder in any of my guns. Pyrodex is very corrosive and begins eating metal as soon as fired, so unless you are into cleaning your gun ASAP I'd stay away from it as a newbie. Alot of folks use it and like it so do as you like, but be warned!! Never leave a gun uncleaned for any amount of time when using pyrodex!!

I use an really like triple seven powder, I have white muzzleloaders so no problem for me. Your CVA might have a crud ring after firing, so you will have to swab in between shots if you do. T7 is not as corrosive as pyrodex an cleans up much easier with a citrus cleaner or water.

In just this last week, I killed a 4 point buck, left the white super 91 loaded and wiped out the bore, shot three more times, (at two turkeys, hit one but no kill and shot over the other) :roll: wiped the bore each time, and killed a mature doe on saturday. After shooting out the reloaded rifle there was no problem in cleanup an a very shiney bore.

Just my opinion and experiences. Like others said above don't use those pellets with a #11 cap especially for hunting!

I would recommend loose Triple Se7en powder. It is easy to find, relatively inexpensive, ignites easily and seems to show consistent ignition. I shoot it in my sidelock exclusively.

If you can get it, I would highly recommend black powder. Specifically Swiss. Just about the same power as Triple 7, at least the same as Pyrodex and easier to ignite than either. No crud ring ( T7) and far less corrosive than Pyrodex. Have tried a number of powders over the years, but all I shoot now is 3f Swiss. Great stuff. Better than their chocolate!

I had that very rifle and it shot well with 90 gr. Pyrodex RS and Hornady XTP's in the MMP black sabot for the .45 and green for the .44. Killed deer with both and groups were always under 1 1/2" at 100 yds. Shot a box or two of Great Plains conicals with 65-70 gr. of RS and they grouped pretty well too. First mz I ever bought, got it as a package deal from Cabela's. Came with a Pine Ridge 3-9X40 scope & rings too. Great little rifle as my intro to mz.

I've used pyrodex for decades in several of my #11 rifles with no issues whatsoever. It ignites very consistently and easily. T7 and real black are also good, obviously. They are all corrosive once fired, all you have to do is clean your rifle and you'll never have an issue.

The RWS 1075 caps are the ticket imo. Great choice! Nice and hot, and have a nice fit by being a tad smaller. :D

Latest posts

Back