What Rings,and Bases?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
What height rings would I need for the T/C Prohunter? I'm looking at the Maxima Bases,and rings. My scope is a 3X9X42 I can't be sure if the low rings would have enough clearance or not? Ron

Grouse,my sights are removed. I can't see them that well,so most of my guns are scoped. On a side note: I was out yesterday shooting the gun,and noticed it was shooting left @ 100yds. So I figured it was the cross wind. I went to another loaction in a hallow,where the wind couldn't effect the shot,and it was still shooting left! :shock: I then moved the target to 50yds.and it was still off. So I removed the turret cover and adjusted the windage( or so I thought), next shot same group,three more clicks,and next shot same group! I turned the turret 8 clicks,and shot again ,same group. So I now know the Sightron SII 3X9X42 has went South! I'm gonna call them today and see if it can be repaired or replaced by,the end of Dec. Our last season is in January. So I thought I would change out the Bases and rings while I was at it. I have the T/c Gorilla Rings and bases on it right now. They are strong,but I think the Maxima bases and rings might be even stronger. Ron

I have a Pentax 4.5X14X42 on my PH. The E. Aurthor Brown mount works well. Lots of clearance and not too high to be comfortable to shoot. Also gives you lots of adjustment for eye relief.

ultratec00,I'll have to look at that. I like a scope mounted as low as possible,to get a good cheek weld on the stock when shooting.Thanks,Ron

I've been thinking of going to this scope,I really like the Mil-Dot scopes. We use them varmit hunting and once the learning curve is over,you can range,and shoot any size target,pretty well,you can also use a range finder,but with a little practice, you can range a target and shoot it, works great! http://sightron.com/index.php?action=vi ... 1047415599

Ron - On your scope going south try this little trick. Back both of your site adjustment screws all the way out and then re-zero. I have a friend that use to fix scopes and that is all he ever did. Sometimes the springs just get in a bind and if they are released of their tension they are fine. Most of the time the refurbished scopes you see from manufacturers that are for resale, that is all that was done to them once they were returned by customers. If you like current scope this should work and save the return time unless you just want a reason to get another one.

On the scope height question, I have a an Pro Hunter with the Omega scope that I mounted Leupold QR base and rings on. The mediums worked but I went with the high ones because I like my hammer to be centered and not offset. The high rings gave jme just a tad more thumb room with this hammer alignment. I also removed my rear site and front site and filled in the front holes with SS slave screws that I ordered from TC. This make a fine, sleak looking rifle.

Curtis

Thanks,Curtis! I just sent the scope in to Sightron. They wanted to check it out. They said they could up grade it to Mil Dot,if I wanted. Ron

variable scopes w/ larger objectives

I've had people give me the "overkill" look when I tell them I'm shooting a 4.5X14X42 w/ PA on my muzzleloader. Fact is the higher magnification is invaluable when shooting groups at 100 yards. Not that it can't be done, but there's more room for error when shooting for group using lower power scopes. For hunting the scope usually stays between 4.5 - 6, but I've bumped it up on occasion when needed. I'd rather "have and not need" than "need and not have". The 42mm objective definitely helps in low light.

You can find the Pentax Pioneer for app $239 + $9.99 shipping. It's the same scope as the Burris Fullfield II. Not sure who makes who for what, but it is the same scope.

http://www.pentaxsportoptics.com/?u...ng.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=cross-link

Back