what to do before firing that first shot....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
I got this new inline(Lyman Mustang) and have yet to shoot it...I was hoping to get the scope on first,but you know how things go when you mail order..Anyway,after reading some of the post about the breech plugs freezing up,I wanted to get a little more information here..Should I remove the plug and clean the oil from it and the barrel first? Obvious I suppose..I thought that maybe I should put some never seize on it first or not..I would hate to have it freeze up after a few shots...

I have shot the flinters and cap locks several times,but the inlines are new.So please feel free to offer any advice you think I will need before hand..Thanks and have a safe and happy holiday....LP :p

I have not seen the Mustang in person but I would recommend tearing the gun down, removing the oil from the breech area and barrel, then a hefty dose of anti-sieze on the breech plug from top to bottom covering the threads well... When you tighten the plug only tighten finger tight..

Take a shot or 2 at the range then break the plug loose.

You might want to get a hold of Semisane.. he shoots a Mustang, has loads worked up for it, and had even harvested deer with it. He would be a wealth of information to you, as many of us are not all that familiar with your rifle..

Use your owners Manuall Take gun completly apart and Clean the fire out of it removeing all greas and oils remove the breech plug and clean good after your breech plug has dryed take some teflon tape and wrap the threads with a sigal layer and then aply your Anti Seize grease over the tape when you replace the breech plug ONLY tighten it as tight as FINGER TIGHT do not over tighten it . You should have no probblems with it at all.

I agree with the others, take your manual and tear it down and clean it good. Not only does new guns need a good cleaning before their first trip out, it also will help you to learn about your gun. Plug grease is a must and don't overtighten it as mentioned. Good luck and have fun.

everyone keeps to not overtighten the breachplug to only go hand tight but why? im new to this also but wouldnt the tighter the better? less blow back,less likely to get crud on the threads.

I think what they are saying is that going finger tight will prevent it from freezing to the threads,by way of corrosion...You will probably get enough crud in it to seal it..Thus preventing blow back..Just a thought..

I think what they are saying is that going finger tight will prevent it from freezing to the threads,by way of corrosion...You will probably get enough crud in it to seal it..Thus preventing blow back..Just a thought..

loadbreak said:
everyone keeps to not overtighten the breachplug to only go hand tight but why? im new to this also but wouldnt the tighter the better? less blow back,less likely to get crud on the threads.

The reason you use anti seize on the threads is, the breech plug will tighten up after you shoot a little bit. On some on my rifles I specificially take my breech plug wrench and after ten shot, twist the plug back and fourth to make sure it is not seizing on the rifle.

The reason many do not tighten the plug is, it will get tight enough on its own. I finger tighten it then turn it back 1/4 of the face or if it were a clock I move it back 15 minutes. It will help me remove it better at the end of the day.

Since I do not know how your rifle act, or if there is a lot of blow back, simply follow the directions in the manual.. good luck with the rifle.

Back