What to do in Idaho?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
We all have heard about the recent changes at the Idaho fish and game concerning muzzleloading. In my opinion, they have taken a step backwards but that is life.

If you were going to hunt Idaho during the muzzleloader season, what would you do?

Myself. I think I would get a Kahnke M93 rifle with a long barrel and fine peep sights. I would work up a good 150 grain H777 load using a full sized conical bullet. To be honest, this is more an academic exercise. Due to time and money, I will probably never hunt Idaho.

If your content shooting BB's then you could dust of the ole slow twist sidelock and just go hunt. Or buy a fast twist barrel from Green Mountain for your sidelock, or maybe buy a new gun with a pivoting hammer and fast twist barrel and work up a load for your favorite conical. Or build your own version of an Idaho special.

Me, since I live in Idaho and hunt too and have 10 White inlines that are now ilegal, I'm working on a bolt on conversion to add the all important performance robbing "Pivoting Hammer" to at least one of my inlines, and I have a fast twist stainless steel flutted 50 cal barrel comming that I intend to fit into a boltaction stock blank and fit a Tryon style backaction lock(the Tryon is not common amongst the Trad crowd and was one of the last styles of percussion lock developed and would be most likely to make a Trad turn his nose up). My intent is to build a legal gun that looks as much as possible like a modern gun just to irritate the Trads and will still shoot the conical bullets I like so much while meeting the letter of the law.

First of all,,I can't believe the Idaho muzzleloading hunters are accepting this ruling, and succumbing to the changes without a fight! The so-called "traditional season" is a farce. At least in Indiana, it was. It was NEVER referred to as a "traditional muzzleloader season". It was stated as "muzzleloader season". PERIOD!! And this all took place before the inline was ever marketed by Tony Knight,,,,so that kind of shoots the "traditional" arguement in the foot,,,doesn't it? Otherwise,,,where and why would the term "traditional" evolve and become an issue? Wasn't everything back then traditional?

Man,,,I'd be writing,,calling, emailing, and even sending carrier pigeons to my State legislators to get them involved. You NEVER give up what you've had. This rule was enacted because a selfish bunch of Daniel Boone wanna-bees wanted it more than the inliners did, apparently. :roll:

But don't get me started.... 8)

Back