What was i doing wrong

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dereck81

Reaction score
Went to the range for the first time with my brand new knight shadow. Wanted to site in with the nikon omega that i purchased. Started at 25 yards to get it on paper. Shot twice swabbing between shoots. move back to 50 yards and shot 8 more times swabbing between shots. Oh ya i'm using 777 pelets and tc shockwaves. Anyways after the 4th or 5th shot it started to get harder and harder to load. the first inch or two of the muzzle was real hard after that it was fine. didn't even feel the crude ring that everyone talks about. It was so hard to load the last 2 shots i had to have my wife hold the gun while i started the bullet. Please help love this type of shooting allready only after shooting the gun for the second time.

When you swab the bore next time, pay special attention to the muzzle area. A lot of times swabs are pushed down three or four inches, and then they start to do their actual swab. This goes past the false muzzle of the rifle. So pay more attention there. Actually watch the patch move up and down just under the muzzle.

Also work in short strokes when you swab. Long stroke will pass up fouling and also runs the risk of jamming a patch. Another thing is when you seat that sabot, use a short starter, not just the ramrod. And use the long nose of the short starter. I like a T handle short starter and push that sabot down as far as it will go. Use the rifle loading jag also.

Try that and see if it does not help.

+1 to what cayuga said,I have had the same thing happen to me.I wouldpush the ramrod down to far before i started short strokeing the ramrod back and forth and left to much fouling near the muzzle.derek i did another 20+rds of bh209 250sst,short black harvester sabots the other day and had 1 slight hangfire on rnd 12,the breech plug flash chanel was clogged,used a 3/32 drillbit to clean it out and all was fine again.itwas 23f out.100g bh209,sub moa @ 100yds when i did my part.i cleaned oiled and dry patched between each shot because i hunt with clean barrel so i sight in the same way.good luck on your next outing. karl

dereck81

I also think Dave hit the problem right on... usually the very top of the muzzle is not cleaned/swabbed very well in the field as you normally work the barrel and breech area more.

Does the Shadow have a QLA? If not, and it is a new gun the crown on the end of the bore may also be adding to the problem as it will be a bit tight. The Knight Disc Extreme that bought recently was very tight and sharp in the crown area.

Let us know if these steps help the the problem or it continiues.

Thanks guys I'll try to shot some more this weekend. I also want to try some bh209. Its hard to find in ny my local shop will not stock it to expensive. I will surely figure this out from the help of everyone on this site. I think i got my wife and my uncle hook to. love this sport allready.

Back