What would you use ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one

• Custom fast twist with blackhorn and sabotless

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Original fast twist Knight with heavy lead.

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I was wondering what many guys would use if they chose to shoot at the Friendship muzzleloader competition and why .
Would you use a Custom fast twist with blackhorn and a sabotless bullet ( fast and furious:)) or
An original fast twist Knight with heavy lead. ( slow and steady )

Wouldn't it be nice to be an expert with both,, I know there's many on this site that are, I'm sure Lewis and encore and other shooters with such experience would be competitive with both,, for me in my ideal world I'd like to have two rifles with me if I went to a competition and perhaps one of them would be a big lead gun, though I have no experience with such a gun yet,, certainly both styles of guns are capable of incredible accuracy again Lewis and encore exhibit that constantly, is one better than the other ?I think that would depend upon the individual shooter,,, always a little tension between tradition and modern isn't there. 1874 sharpshooter have you ever been to a match with a newcomer hopped out of his truck had a gun a little bit different from everybody there and beat everyone at the match? Again I haven't competed in muzzleloading but I've been to some benchrest matches where some newbie with a new gun cleaned everybody's clock and oh did it upset everyone,, and yes it made me smile it happened one time with a very good friend of mine they made him park in a different place at the next match he showed up at

Which do you have the utmost confidence in? Is take the one that I knew all the ins and outs and all the peculiarities of.

I agree with that ,,what if you have two or three rifles that you know the ins and outs of,, for me personally if I went to a match and the winds were tolerable I would probably feel more comfortable with the jacketed bullets but I could .sure see on a windy day where big lead would have an advantage be nice to have a rifle that shot both wouldn't it

Tied so far at 6-6. I am surprised. I figured for sure that the custom would dominate. And while it might outshoot or dominate in a match i think the cool factor of shooting a classic old knight outweighs the other factors unless WINNING ONLY ,not just competing is all that matters to a person. Kinda of a. Nostalgia thing for me . Maybe it is because i am getting old or maybe it is because i still like the old knights and the memories of what Knight use to be as a company.

Only accurate rifles I just can't get out of that camp
The old fast twist original knights were very accurate. At least the ones i have had were. Just not sure if they are as accurate as a Bestill Custom for example . But both are more accurate than my abilities so why not compete with a classic. I can only shoot up to my potential so even if you gave me a $5000 dollar gun i probably would finish in the same place as if i was shooting a $500 gun 😀

Didnt vote because it was not an option

Mountaineer 45 1-20 sabotless 300gr jacketed but i could probably be happy with a chunk of lead too. Spend the extra on the Murphy base, TPS XRT rings and a nice scope.

I have some big lead questions for the big lead people,, what would be a good big lead 400 plus grain bullet for the oversized Paramount bore,,22 twist probably would need 454 to size down any suggestions from the traditional big lead people would be greatly appreciated I'm considering trying some maybe a question for another thread but it would sure affect my shooting and competition shooting in the future .

You know I'm a fan of big lead so that's how I voted. You should know better than any of us which you'll shoot best with though.
It comes down to personal preference and recent results show that both can perform phenomenally.

Latest posts

Back