What's the future for 54 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperKirby said:
I would like a 54 bolt action. I looked all over for awhile trying to find one of the GM's. Couldnt. Thought about a custom but couldn't find anyone that made a fast twist. 54 barrel do have up on the idea for now. If i can ever find someone to build the barrel for a reasonable price I'd like to have one.
Just a FYI. I have a stainless Rem 700 ML I bought new back in '96 that was originally a .50 cal. I had it rebored and re-rifled to .54, .540" X .550", 1-26" twist by Norman Johnson of High Plains Reboring in North Dakota. I don't know what current costs are but 10 years ago when I had it done it was $175. The Rem was perfect for that because it uses the same breech plug from .45-.54 cal.

As the inlines get better and better and new powders come out with longer lower pressure peaks the capabilities will approach that of the High Powered rifle. Then there will be some one who will make a bad mistake and some states will start changing the laws. When the more populated states require side locks with PRB or shot gun slug for deer hunting then the 54 PRB will be King again.

THAT was the original argument for .54. The fact that the .40 and the .54 were the sweet spots for Patched roundball accuracy. Problem is,The PRB got left behind with inlines. They managed to find their own niche for a new reason there.

This is the future of the .54
It will always be the best caliber in a traditional sidelock
I believe thanks to the manufacturers that for inlines the .50 will continue to dominate even though a fast twist .45 reigns supreme in actuality .

Back