What's the practical accuracy of a Savage 10ML-II?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
What if one got a bone stock NIB 10ML-II, Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40, and Talley one-piece LW mounts and shot seven 3-shot groups with 42gr VV-110, 250gr SST, and a Harvester SS.... What do you think the average group size would be at 100yds? .50 inch? 3/4 inch? 1.5 inch? Well I did just that. No experimenting with loads as time was of the essence. Here's how it went... Smallest group .52 inches. Largest group 1.97 inches. AVERAGE of seven groups... 1.44 inches.. That's really about EXACTLY what I expected. Now that's what the rifle REALLY did not just the best groups... I'm sure I could have gotten a little better groups by increasing or decreasing the powder charge. But for actual hunting accuracy.. I think that's VERY good. What are the rest of you getting for overall accuracy?

Yesterday was the first day here in western N.Y. where the temp.was 55. Started out with 55gr. VV-120 and increased each shot by half a grain. Quit at 59grains with a 3 shot group almost in the same hole. All shots were at 100yds. using Barns Original .458-300gr SS. I could not be more impressed with this load and the Savage. Bub.

That's about what I average [1 1/2"] Chuck. In seven 3 shot groups their room for alot of variables , mostly shooter error.

250 std xtp 42.0 n-110 mmp bare short .710 5shot 100yrds 75 degrees
:)
250 shockwave 42.0 n-110 supplied sabot w/sbase .698 5 shot 100yrd 85 degrees 20 min in shade between shots :eek:

300 std xtp 44.0 5744 mmp bare short .503 5 shot 100yrds (my hunting load)65 degrees :D

my gun hates 250 MZ with all powders :evil:

300 mag tip 44.0 5744 mmp short w/sbase .321 3 shot 100 yrds
like this one but lack of proper loading tip have not duplicated again :shock:

all using same lot of win209 all charges weighed on a balance scale

still playing with 375 SSB w 2015 wish winchester made a flat sealed base 305 grain platinum tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big6x6 said:
What do you think the average group size would be at 100yds?

In Illinois, average group size means we have to count ALL the groups. How is it in Alabama?

Maybe that's why we like 3 shot, not 5 shot groups. It makes up all feel a little better :?: :shock:

Mine gets 2" groups but that is with a 1x scope or open sights
Redclub

lol well some of us love the the fine print :p besides 3shots are all some of us have time for :? LOL hey lets all gang up and email winchester and ask about a 300 or so grain flat based platinum tip what do you think rw??????????

Definition of practical accuracy for me is the distance where I can consistently shoot 3-4" groups (3 shot). For the setup I am currently hunting with that distance has proved to be 250 yds.

With current hunting load that is a "crosshairs on backline" hold.

I think 1 1/2 " groups are what you should expect, on average, from any 10ml. That has been my experience over and over.

Latest posts

Back