Wheeler Engineering FAT Torque Wrench Screwdriver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I have been using one of these inexpensive drivers now for a couple of months and find it to be adequate for scope rings, bases and action screws. As stated in many of the reviews, this unit is less than exact however it will get you in the ballpark.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=718023

What are you all using??

You know I've NEVER used a torque wrench on a rifle/scope mounts/etc. I probably SHOULD...

Doohan,

Here are a few posts I made last May on this topic...

As a few of you may know I have been looking for a Torque driver for general gun work/maintenance. When I originally researched the options it was clear that I wanted to get a fully adjustable driver, despite the inherent higher cost. Of course I was shocked to see the prices of most of the available models (+/-200$). I decided that at this time I would simply look for a model that could cover the majority of my needs as opposed to looking for a full, or extended range model.

While it may not be all inclusive I felt that if I could find a model that covered a range from approximately 5-40 inch lbs it would fulfill virtually all of my needs. I eventually came across an interesting model on Eric Brooks CZ-452 page. Eric was selling a number of used model Utica TS-30 drivers. These drivers are fully adjustable and featured a 5-30 inch lbs range. Unfortunately, he had already sold out every unit upon their arrival.

Digging deeper into the Utica name I eventually came across the Utica TS-35. This model featured a 6-36 inch lbs range, however these models have a listed retail price over 200$. It quickly became apparent that as with many products these drivers could in fact be found for much cheaper prices from non-retail venues.

I am happy to say I eventually found a NIB Utica TS-35 on Ebay and purchased it for 46$ including shipping?

The product arrived today with all appropriate calibration endorsements, seals, and warranty paperwork.

Initial, testing appears perfect. However I will note that the model I received does not have the "chuck" style head, and I will probably decide to buy that part at a later date...

111_1130.jpg

One of the reasons I bought this driver was to use with my Tar-Hunt. With it I can fasten every bolt on the gun to original specs...JC

Jeff,

We use Loctite #242 medium duty thread locker on all of the parts on
the RSG that require such a product. Tighten the torque head screws at
28 to 30 inch pounds of torque, no more, especially the rear screw.
Standard allen heads at 25 inch pounds. The stock guard screws get
tighten at 35 to 40 inch pounds, no more. They use a 5/32 allen driver.
Hope this helps,

Randy Fritz
Tar-Hunt

Just to add the previous post, the Wheeler FAT wrench was not available when I made my purchase last year.

If I were in the market for a wrench right now the FAT would be my first choice.

JC

For the money they sound like excellent products. I got lucky on ebay and got a Snap-On inch pound torque wrench for about $30 as I recall and an inch pound Snap-On Torq meter from my retired mechanic father-in-law for $25. I got lucky three times, I also married his daughter.
I also have a Brownell's screwdriver set of about 25 pieces, between the combinations overall it fits most needs.
My father-in-law is old school, he would rather fix it or make it than buy new. It is also handy that he has a lathe. We have worked together(mostly he working and I helping or staying out of his way) on MANY farm and gun and vehicle projects over the years.
He still has a small shop at his house, the same house he was born in and has lived all his life, in May that will be 91 years.

The thing I like about the FAT wrench is that you can adjust it from 10 to 65 inch pounds, so you can use it from installing bases to rings to stock action screws. The FAT wrench also comes with Torx bits, allen head and straight in different sizes which is another reason it is more versatile. I looked at the Warne too, but put another $20 with it and you can have adjustability for a variety of gun related tasks. Natchez SS has them on special for $40 right now.

Back