Which bullet/load for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBacon

Reaction score
Which bullet will perform best on deer sized game?

I'll be shooting them out of my new .50 Omega w/ a max shot distance of around 200yds.. with most being much closer than that. I'm a bit overwhelmed w/ all of the different choices out there.

:D Hi KBacon, Welcome aboard. I dont have ur gun but have read reports of others that do. Omega here shoots a Hornady 250 Grain SST out of his Omega. I believe he goes the gammet with a 150 grain pellet load. I personally would start with about 90 grains of 2fg ff & work up.

Maybe PM Omega for some input. He has a hell of a lot of xperience with that gun.

Look fwd to ur reports.

KBacon said:
I can't tell you how it performs on a deer yet, but the 200 gr. T/C Shockwave/blue sabot over 110 grs. Triple Se7en ffg performs on paper real well! I didn't get the oppurtunity to test it on a deer last season but that's the way it goes sometimes! :cry: I have mine sighted 3" high at 100 yds. and it strikes the target at 200 yds. only a couple of inches low. Some folks don't like the Shockwaves/SST's for deer but I've yet to determine that for myself. Maybe this year? :lol: Good luck with your new Omega!

KBacon said:

The one that affords you the best accuracy. Think shot placement. I think you're being steered in the right direction, just don't settle for whats being suggested if it will not group. All guns are different so listen to your gun. Lots of good help here on the forum if needed.

The one that affords you the best accuracy. Think shot placement. I think you're being steered in the right direction, just don't settle for whats being suggested if it will not group. All guns are different so listen to your gun. Lots of good help here on the forum if needed.

Yeah I understand that... just trying to save a little time and $$$ by trying out what has worked well for others already. After doing some reading I've already decided that I'll try the 777 loose powder over the pellets... and have a few bullets on my list to try.. like the Barnes expanders 250gr, SST, Shockwaves, ect... think I'll skip the powerbelts...

Latest posts

Back