which bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd10231

Reaction score
Quick question guys, I shoot a cva hunterbolt .45, 80 grs 777 loose. which would be better a light or a heavy bullet for whitetail deer. Thanks

I also own and hunt with a .45 caliber CVA Hunterbolt. (If fact, I only own .45's.) I have had superb killing power with both the 195 grain HP with 90 grains of powder(see Trophy gallery), and the 225 grain bullet with 100 grains of powder. I absolutely love to hunt with these high velocity loads in a .45 smokegun because they have been so deadly on whitetails. Keep in mind though for me shot placement for these lighter loads is always in the lung area. Although I have not hunted with it, I think the 175 grainer may be too light(makes me a little nervous)

This year I'm experimenting a little. I will be using the 275 grain bullet with 80 grains in one smokegun, and 90 grains in the other. I expect that load to be devestating on a thin skinned whitetail within 100 yards. I like the fact that I can be a lot more flexible with shot placement using the 275 grainer.

I guess to answer your question, a light bullet in .45 has been already been field proven to me. I have no doubt though that the 275 grainer will perform on whitetails, but will probably be best for larger game like mule deer, moose or black bear. The 225 grainers seem to be the overall best seller favorite on the bullet racks in the retail stores.

Shoot what ever shoots best in your rifle, but be sure you're not pushing the bullet to fast!

I personally wont go any lower than the 223gr Platinum in .45cal. The 175 and 195 powerbelts, i wouldnt even think about using on deer size game.

Latest posts

Back