Which CVA Accura?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot!

Reaction score
Hello smoke pole experts

I'm in the market for my first muzzleloader and I think I decided on the CVA Accura based on the reviews and price point. (I almost got a CVA Wolf to start out but a guy who shoots a lot of muzzleloaders convinced me to the Accura was well worth the extra dollars.)

Now my problem is choosing which of the models in the Accura line to get. It seems they offer a ton of models each with or without a scope and some in stainless and others in nitride. Plus now there is a LR model added to the already stack line up alongside the V2 and MR.

Can you please help this newbie muzzleloader breakdown the differences?

Thanks!

What type of hunting will you be doing? If you are still hunting or stalking, the MR(Mountain Rifle) models have a 25" barrel, 2 inches shorter than the 27" barrel on the V2 models and is lighter. If you are stand hunting, the LR(Long Range) models have a 30" barrel for a bit more velocity but are heavier. I have a V2, which I personally feel is a great all purpose rifle. I went with the nitride treated model and really like the black finish but all the Accuras are stainless and will last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. The inside of the barrels on the black nitride models also have the nitride treatment, which is supposed to make the surface of the steel harder than the regular stainless and has more lubricity(slicker), which would give you a bit more velocity because of reduced friction. However, I'm not sure that in practical use it would be that much different. I would get whatever you like the best. If the game laws of your state allow you to use a scope, I would recommend getting a model with the Dead On scope mount and mounting the 3-9 power scope of your choice. The Dead On mount is rock solid and bullet proof. Whichever model you choose, you should seriously consider getting the BH 209 breech plug. Blackhorn 209 is the best blackpowder substitute available, IMO, and really helps realize the full potential of the Accura. Good luck with your decision. The Accura is a superbly accurate rifle that will shoot a variety of different load combinations very well.

Just to give you something else to think about, have you considered an Optima V2. It has a 26" barrel, 1 inch shorter than the Accura V2, weighs 2/3s of a lb less, doesn't have an adjustable trigger but it does have an excellent trigger and the barrel doesn't have a final honing process that the Accura barrels get, although it really doesn't seem to need it. It shoots just as well as the Accura and can save you some money, if that is an issue. Below is a target I shot yesterday with my son's Optima V2 with a Nikon Inline XR scope. It was shoot at 100 yds off a Caldwell Lead Sled and no wind. The upper group is 3 shots using the Hornady 44 cal 265 gr FTX bullet, Harvester smooth green sabot, Winchester 209A primer and 100 gr BH 209. The lower group is 3 shots using the Scorpion PT Gold 300 gr bullet, Harvester black crush rib sabot, Winchester 20A primer and 110 gr BH 209. This is virtually the same accuracy I get with my Accura V2.

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 581
The Nitride barrel is imo a nice feature. So is the thumbhole stock. I have both on my Optima. One thing I like about CVA'S is that they seem to shoot a lot of different bullet/sabot combos very well. I would strongly recommend you shoot black horn 209 powder. You will need to get the bh breach plug.

Thanks for the replies. I did in fact consider the optima but the price difference is such that I might as well get the Accura. I'd like the muzzleloader to be as flexible as possible ie work with any type of hunting or in any state. Realistically however I will most commonly be stand hunting in the Northeast.

You made a good choice with the Accura. An excellent gun. Keep us posted how things go. If you have any questions or troubles this is definitely the place to get answers.

I have 3 Accura's and my stalking rifle is the MR....it will just about shoot any thing you stuff in her...also I would just get the rifle with the scope mount and get a scope you like...an get the Nitride version...

give Carlos a call at Ed's gun shop in NC ..he will give you best price and has all you will need....powder..bullets scopes...what ever you need....

you will save on taxes also...I am from North east also and i buy from Carlos always....1-910-692-7936...ask for carlos...

Al

I went from a side hammer to the Accura MR in nitride. One of the reasons for the switch was ease of cleaning. So far I like the rifle. Still learning the inline world. Playing with different powders and bullets. Buttttttttt I realllllly like the Accura MR.

Latest posts

Back