Which sabot for Omega x7???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loaded4bear

Reaction score
I'm working up a load for my .50 cal Omega, using a 260 gr. Nosler Partition (.451) bullet over a load of triple se7en powder, for bear hunting. My question is, because of the tight bore in the Omega I'm haviing difficulty in finding a sabot to use that loads easily. Two possibilities I've narrowed the choice down to are the Harvester "crush-rib" sabot or the MMP HPH24 sabot. Anyone here have experience with either of these sabots in the Omega? Particularly interested in reports pertaining to ease of loading & accuracy with the two. Thanks in advance!

loaded4bear

I use the same bullet in my Omega - Sabot I use is a HPH-24, but I also have MMP 3 petal EZ load sabots for backups. + I use the EZ load as a quick second shot.

I use the precision extreme elites and black mag 3. However, with the bm3 I have been able to shoot as many as 9 times in a row without cleaning, swabbing and the loading in the omega has been easy to do. At least this is what I've experienced.

Paul

Results are in! After some judicious range work have settled on the 260 gr. Nosler PT (.451) coupled with the MMP HPH 24 sabot, over 85 gr. loose 777. Consistantly getting 1.5 in. groups at 75 yards using the Williams WGRS peep sight. Loading is significantly easier in the x7 using the HPH 24s, but I still spit patch between shots for consistancy.
I've also been using Winchester 's T7 209 primers, and true to their claim, the so called "crud ring" is virtually non-existant. :yeah:

loaded4bear said:
I've also been using Winchester 's T7 209 primers, and true to their claim, the so called "crud ring" is virtually non-existant. :yeah:

that might have something to do with the charge you're using as well. i shoot 80 g. t7 with .452 250 g. xtp's in one of my rifles with #11 ignition and havent noticed the slightest crud ring.

on the other hand, with my disc elite w/ #209 ignition, i use 100 g. t7, and have noticed some hard fouling where the bullet seats. it is still easily wiped out with a damp patch between shots, though.

Latest posts

Back