Which Scope Mounts F/10MLSS-II

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davexx1

Reaction score
I have a new stainless with laminated stock 10ML-II on order. I also have a brand new Leupold 3x9x40 scope at home still the box. The scope is black and was bought back when they were on sale a year or so ago. The black scope may not look all that good on a SS gun but that is what I have and I intend to use it. Hopefully the deer will not mind my mis-matched accessories.

Just curious which scope bases and rings is everyone using? One piece base or two piece? Does the base(s) interfere with removing the breech plug or bolt? I favor a low scope mount so will need lowest rings that will work on the gun. Any info about what works best, what to avoid, etc. would be appreciated.

I need to be rounding all of this stuff up along with some vent liners and such.

Dave

I have the old style, preaccutrigger Savage. I had all steel one piece base Leupold and rings. I like the one piece but it made it more difficult on my particular scope to get the breech plug out. I had to remove the same when I rebarreled the Savage with an aftermarket barrel because the contour was slightly thicker and it contacted my scope.
I now have on Warne all steel bases and quick detachable rings. This is the two piece base design. I like all steel, the weight does not bother me in the tree stand and I like the strength it provides.

This evening I took the new Leupold 3x9x40mm scope out, held it over the new gun's receiver where the scope base holes are drilled/tapped and noticed the drilled holes in the receiver a further apart than I have straight body on this somewhat compact scope.

I also noticed in the picture in the advertisement on this website for the breechplug "EZ Remover" tool, the gun in the picture has what appears to be Leupold brand extended bases mounted on it to compensate for the widely spaced drilled holes.

Looks like I will be shopping for Leupold extended bases tomorrow.

When holding the scope over the receiver and opening the bolt handle it appears there will not be much clearance between the bolt handle and the scope. Hopefully it will not hit/touch the scope or access to the breechplug, bolt head area be restricted if I use the low scope rings. If anyone has any info regarding this situation, please advise.

I am still debating whether to use one piece or two piece bases. Does the one piece base restrict any space or access to or around the bolt head, breechplug, etc.?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am new to this, but am learning.

Dave1

Davexx1 said:
This evening I took the new Leupold 3x9x40mm scope out, held it over the new gun's receiver where the scope base holes are drilled/tapped and noticed the drilled holes in the receiver a further apart than I have straight body on this somewhat compact scope.

I also noticed in the picture in the advertisement on this website for the breechplug "EZ Remover" tool, the gun in the picture has what appears to be Leupold brand extended bases mounted on it to compensate for the widely spaced drilled holes.

Looks like I will be shopping for Leupold extended bases tomorrow.

When holding the scope over the receiver and opening the bolt handle it appears there will not be much clearance between the bolt handle and the scope. Hopefully it will not hit/touch the scope or access to the breechplug, bolt head area be restricted if I use the low scope rings. If anyone has any info regarding this situation, please advise.

I am still debating whether to use one piece or two piece bases. Does the one piece base restrict any space or access to or around the bolt head, breechplug, etc.?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am new to this, but am learning.

Dave1

I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 4-12 on my lam. stainless Savage. This scope had almost 5.5" of mounting length available. I used the weaver steel 2 piece bases (#46's) with med. height Leupold QRW rings. Even though these are quick release rings I actually dont use that feature.
I like the look of the two piece myself and this leaves the bolt opening on the receiver open.
How much mounting length does your scope have?

You could go with Millet steel bases(weaver-style) and "angle-loc" rings.
They offer them in sets with a .625" (5/8") offset. They have sets with either one ring offset or both. These rings are steel also and have a windage adjustment feature to them. I have used them on slug guns and they are solid. I dont think the bolt on your gun contacting the scope will be an issue.
DSCN0705.jpg
[/img]

This is my set-up.

I am using a Warne one-piece picatinny base, Burris Signature Zee-Rings, and Nikon Omega scopes on both of my Savages. I can't remember if I used 10 or 20 MOA inserts in the rings. You have a lot more scope options by using the picatinny base.

Latest posts

Back