Which Thor to use???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a used .50 Lyman Mustang and would like to try Thors out of it. Anyone know what diameter Thor might shoot well out of it? He uses Blackhorn and 777 loose powders.

Email Thor and get the free sizing sample pack. It makes things a whole lot easier to figure out which bullet dia he'll need.

Ive never shot or even looked at the mustang before so im not sure what bore sizes the have. Considering its an Italian make, .501 would be my guess with a very possible .502" thor being in need.

Thanks, good idea FG. Like you I know nothing about this particular rifle. He couldn't pass it up for $100 since its in like-new condition and included a 4X scope.

I'll have him contact the Thor people for the sampler.

for $100 i would have had a hard time not buying it lol. Make sure he lets us know how the thors do in that rifle.

I use .45's myself. I contacted the Thor rep. and he said they should have .45's available in 2010.

Thanks Marty for the update. I've been shooting the 195 gr. areo tip powerbelts along with 200 gr. Hornady SST with Win. bp primers, and (FFF) jsg they pattern very well out of my Knight. I just picked up some CCI bp primers today to see how they work.

Keep us posted sqezer on any range work you may do with that .45 Knight. Since most shoot .50's, any .45 data is especially helpful. :)

Got my THOR samples last week. Did the trial fitting earlier today. Found that my NEF Huntsman uses the .500 size. Not sure if this is a universal size for that brand/ model, but it may be a starting point for others. Have an abundant supply of POWERBELTs still available for use. Will try the THORs next to see if my rifle likes them.

I had the chance this afternoon to check and see what size THOR fits the TC ENCORE the .500 & .501 fell right on through with the .502 being the perfect fit.

Got my test pack of Thor's today.These test are for a CVA kodiak mag 50 cal.
I was expecting the 500 to be loose and to test up,but it was very difficult
to push the 500 size thru the barrel.
After a shot i don't think i would be able to seat another round in a dirty barrel.
I miked a Hornady FPB i had and never tested yet and it's even bigger in dia.
at the skirt.The Power Belts work, so it's still good,Just hate i can't use the Thor.

I'm surprised :shock: the .501 dia, 50 cal. Thor is too tight in a CVA for a second shot. Are you sure your're not using the .502 dia. or the .503 dia. bullet instead? (that would be my first guess why the tight fit in a CVA). I guess it's posible you have an unusually tight .50.

I haven't tried to reload after firing as i haven't fired any Thor's yet and it's the .500
size that are already too tight to load.I can make it go thru but it's more pressure
than i think it should be,i mean you really have to bear down harder than my past
experence with a clean barrel.It's what i'd expect from a dirty barrel.
I'll figure out something,just need time.
Also i measured the bullets to make sure they were color coded correctly.

After some thought,i solved my tight barrel by making a type of forcing cone.
The cone forced a reduction of about 1 thousandth or a little more,after running
the Thor's and Hornady FPB thru I'm now able to load said bullets with pressure
that's not going to brake a ram rod.
Ready to go shoot.
Thanks.

Had a piece of 5/8 flat steel bar,drill press,dremel tool,sand paper,aluminum rod
and hammer.1/2 hole to start graduated down to about .498
Crude i know ,but worked where i could utilize the bullets i wanted to try.
I'd been stuck with just PB's,not that it's a bad thing,but this way i can try other
bullets.

That sounds like a pretty good invention there! I cant shoot thors in 2 of the rifles i have because they have tight .498-.499 bores so your idea gives me and any one else out there a good change at now being able to.

I recently received the test Thors. I found that I had to use the smallest in my CVA Accura. When I first put the bullet in it when down most of the barrel quite easy until it got to the last few inches. I couldn't push hard enough to get it out, I had to hit the loading rod with my hand a couple of times. Seemed odd to me that the barrel would change in diameter towards the bottom.

Latest posts

Back