White .451 w/swiss 2f

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
took my White .451 out to dust the cobwebs off, originally gun was zeroed at 60yds w/Goex 2f but decided to give Swiss 2f a try. Using Eds 460 gr Conical.
1st 2 shots at 30 yds w/veg wad were in dot so moved back to 101 yds, target shows how it shot using wad.. I swabbed barrel out after the 1st 2 shots also, 1st shot was low right, target shows the rest.
Then shot 3 shots with no wad same load, gun liked it better(group is 1 1/8 in ctc) also 1st shot was w/center cross hair.. next tried 2 shots on swabbed barrel w/goex 2f 75 gr and it didnt like it at all as you can see in pic..
shes ready for deer season, 75 gr Swiss 2f, no wad and Eds 460 gr conical.

20200829_135616.jpg20200829_135608.jpg20200829_135622.jpg20200829_135634.jpg

I doubt an elk will walk away either. Hard to beat heavy lead. I'd love to shoot it but old bones can't handle it.

It shot pretty good with 65 gr of Goex 3f and a 460 gr conical if i remember right, very mild load.. even with 75 gr Swiss and the 460 grainer its more of a shove then a kick, now sabot loads kick conicals feel like a push to me.

I have found my White (with how my bullets are sized) does not like swabbing between shots.

Gotta love the Swiss.
I've never used Swiss powder, I don't recall anyone in Md back in the day talkin about it or using it. That whole region was mostly Goex until Pyrodex came out. I've only got 1 sidelock now a Seneca in .40 cal 1:37 twist I shoot T7fff & 10mm jacketed pistol bullets out of. I love the lil thing. So I'll prob never know what Swiss powder is like. Except for shootin PRB's in a sidelock & got no more use for black powder outside of my Pedersoli BP 12ga sxs & blowin up tree stumps & armadillo holes from time to time & the occasional improvised tennis ball or golf ball cannon. ( Good ole boys down on the farm kinda fun )

I like the consistency and easy ignition of black powder. The main downside for me is that fewer places sell it these days.

The cleaning doesn't bother me. Actually I find Goex easier to clean than Swiss. The fouling seems softer to me.

Latest posts

Back