White g series

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lock time is good but I never had a primer blow out or blow back as long as I've been shooting whites about 30 years or so

Im thinking that a stronger spring may lessen how much the bolt is being thrown back on firiing, keeping the cap or primer from being blown out, or lessen how much gets it gets blownback? As well as increasing bolt speed.
Lock time is good but I never had a primer blow out or blow back as long as I've been shooting whites about 30 years or so
with bh209 tho?

I just figured the blackhorn was the cleanest burning, i do realize it’s harder to ignite

I just figured the blackhorn was the cleanest burning, i do realize it’s harder to ignite
Keep in mind if your shooting slip fit bullets you want it a little dirty to keep bullets on top of powder that's the "white" system or you can size your bullets to fit properly using 209

ok tired of you guys wolloring this to death using the wrong fix. first let ,me give you some of my back ground.
in 1999 i received 2 savage 10 50 cal smokeless muzzleloaders. so i worked up loads for 17 years. light loads, accurate loads. you name it i shot it. now what's that to do with you guy's problem ??? the flash hole. most muzzleloaders with breech plugs the flash hole diameter is large .040"-.050". on smokeless ML's they are .032" to.034". so if you use a .032" breech plug you'll have no problems shooting black horn powder as the pressure will never get high enough to raise the striker. the catch yes there's a catch. you need to use a primer removal tool or buy a mz loader that has a bolt that also removes the primer. i use the separate remover on my custom ruger no. 1 45 cal .

the flash hole. most muzzleloaders with breech plugs the flash hole diameter is large .040"-.050"
Really? First i heard of this or are we talking about Whites only because none of my MLs had flash holes that large. I had BH209 recock the hammer on a Knight LK93 plunger gun so its certainly possible.

I don't think these guns were designed to shoot 209 and if I'm not mistaken the pressure are not the same and I'm assuming at this stage to be higher so it wouldn't surprise me if 209 blew the cocking mechanism back just my thought off the top of my head. What loads of 209 are being used would be my first question though ?

My feeling on this is Doc is saying its ok to sell 209 conversion kits. Didnt he prefer percussion caps for years over 209s? So why the change of heart now? Did he find a huge stash of them in his uncles basement? :D

Sabotloader had a old Knight bare primer plug for one of his Knight plunger guns and it would destroy primers. They literally came apart with BH209 loads. I had them come apart in FPJs too.

So what exactly makes it safe in a White plunger gun?

Is it the pressure of the load or the speed that the powder burns at that is causing it. Seems like T7 would cause a similar problem, but it doesn't.

bh209 is a higher energy powder which means its within pressure tolerance but it still has a high energy boost during initial ignition. we learned a lot in working with smokeless ML's that has also applied to all ML's . i have been talking to a machinist to make me a breech plug like my ruger no. 1 so there's absolutely no leakage between breech plug and primer. to put this in perspective my go to load in my ruger no. 1 this load averages 2925 fps. don't you think that load would blow a 209 primer right out of the gun???? no, because the pressure cant get to it thru that tiny .028 hole.
SB

In all honesty one of the things I didn’t like about the T-Bolt was loading the 209 primers. #11’s were always much easier. I do like less cleaning required for BH 209. But been there done that and now exclusive Whites again.

In all honesty one of the things I didn’t like about the T-Bolt was loading the 209 primers. #11’s were always much easier. I do like less cleaning required for BH 209. But been there done that and now exclusive Whites again.
Try using Musket Caps. I love #11 caps, but since I started shooting Musket caps primarily due to having my grandson using them as they are much easier for them to put them on and take off.

I just sent Bestill a check for (2) of his White breech plugs. I have heard nothing but good about them. I know they will be first class quality. I will be using Treso no 11 nipples with them. Can't wait to get them. Thanks to edmehlig for inspiring the creation.

When you can shoot a cloverleaf at 100 yards with most of these whites why mess with that as far as powder goes imo from working on many white rifles the stocks were the weak link some are good some bad and all need to be glass bed. Back the powder issue I think it's like working up a rifle or pistol load start low work up to pressure limit then back down and hope you don't blow anything up !

Latest posts

Back