white mountain carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 54 cal was my first muzzleloader, very nice in thick woods. I have another in 50 that needs some help. Barrel had some puttingso it was really cheap. Still shoots well enough.Clean T/C's are getting harder to find for $200.

$200, Where can I send a check ? All kidding aside I believe the WMC is one of those sleeper bargains. The first couple years the 50 Caliber had a 1:20 twist then TC changed it to 1:38 twist. Both twist are excellent for Sabot or Conical shooting with the 1:20 able to handle longer bullets. TC also made the WMC in 45 & 54 Caliber both of them had 1:48 twist and we have all seen video footage of Lewis shooting grease groove bullets, paper patch and round balls with a 54 with a 1:48 twist.

I have a 50 Cal WMC, how do I know which rate of twist mine has, as it's not stamped on the barrel? I bought it used.

Of course the time honored method is using a tight fitting patch and seeing how many inches for a 1/2 or full revolution. I'm not exactly sure when the 1-38 twist started but I have one that's in the 72000 range. All the ones I've checked before the mid 60's have been 1-20 twist.

Of course the time honored method is using a tight fitting patch and seeing how many inches for a 1/2 or full revolution. I'm not exactly sure when the 1-38 twist started but I have one that's in the 72000 range. All the ones I've checked before the mid 60's have been 1-20 twist.
Thanks!

Back