Whitetail accuracy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocomike

Reaction score
How do the Whitetails hold up in the accuracy department? I understand a bedding job might be helpful to address the recoil lug matter but that small issue aside, do they shoot as well as all the other White models are known to?

Mine shoots just as good as my super 91but neither is as good as my bison.

I think the m97 has a slight edge in the g series
The whitetail has only one action screw . The m97 has 2 action screws , heavier duty lug , tapered barrel in 22 up to 26 so I give the edge to later g series . If you like bull barrels the bison is a good g series .
Nothing wrong with a White tail though it's just I consider later models as more improved in some areas
M97 used Criterion barrels which were superb , I am not sure what earlier whitetails used for barrels . Someone else I am sure can tell us

muzzleloaders006-001-1.jpg

My M97 is very accurate. This was 70 yards off a bench rest, but I was not swabbing between shots.

DSCN4448-001.jpg

My Bison which technically is a G series like the White tail. The different being a blued barrel and the wooden Myrtle wood stock I believe. Is another good shooter. And if you look down the bore of my Bison you would not think it would shoot good. I purchased it used and the seller said, slightly pitted in the bore. Well his idea of slightly pitted and mine are very different. But I cleaned the rifle up and loaded it properly and it is an awesome shooting rifle. With just a simple $20.00 1x4-32mm Simmons scope, this thing is a real shooter.

are the Whitetail barrels the same as the M97, then, with the only difference being the style of recoil lug and an additional action screw?

cayuga said:
muzzleloaders006-001-1.jpg

My M97 is very accurate. This was 70 yards off a bench rest, but I was not swabbing between shots.

DSCN4448-001.jpg

My Bison which technically is a G series like the White tail. The different being a blued barrel and the wooden Myrtle wood stock I believe. Is another good shooter. And if you look down the bore of my Bison you would not think it would shoot good. I purchased it used and the seller said, slightly pitted in the bore. Well his idea of slightly pitted and mine are very different. But I cleaned the rifle up and loaded it properly and it is an awesome shooting rifle. With just a simple $20.00 1x4-32mm Simmons scope, this thing is a real shooter.

Nice shooting for sure; I could live with that kind of performance out of a Whitetail.

I didn't see on Doc's website that the maker of the Whitetail barrel was named. Does anyone know which barrel maker made the tubes on the WT's?

Some of the very early Armstech (White Rifles) actually used Browning Barrels, some with Micro-Groove rifling. G Series Whitetails/Bisons, SG Series White Lightning, and W Series Super 91's used Wilson Barrels (6 lands and grooves) with a stepped crown. The M97 Whitetails Ultra Mags, and M98 Elite Hunters used Bo Clerke Barrels (7 lands and grooves) with a funnel (funky) crown.

Right at the end, for the last time, they did use some Criterion/Krieger Barrels (very few).

The lions share were Wilson and Bo Clerke. Some of the extremely early and extremely late barrels were like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get.

Busta said:
Some of the very early Armstech (White Rifles) actually used Browning Barrels, some with Micro-Groove rifling. G Series Whitetails/Bisons, SG Series White Lightning, and W Series Super 91's used Wilson Barrels (6 lands and grooves) with a stepped crown. The M97 Whitetails Ultra Mags, and M98 Elite Hunters used Bo Clerke Barrels (7 lands and grooves) with a funnel (funky) crown.

Right at the end, for the last time, they did use some Criterion/Krieger Barrels (very few).

The lions share were Wilson and Bo Clerke. Some of the extremely early and extremely late barrels were like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get.
would there be any to be "avoided"?

I like the Criterion barrels and Doc is making g series guns right now from the 20 barrels he found. You could get a new bison with Criterion barrel from him . He wants 600 bucks I think . You could email him and see

1874sharpsshooter said:
I like the Criterion barrels and Doc is making g series guns right now from the 20 barrels he found. You could get a new bison with Criterion barrel from him . He wants 600 bucks I think . You could email him and see

I did see that on his site, thanks.

nocomike said:
Busta said:

I've never owned or shot a Micro-Groove, so I can't tell you anything other than what I've read on those. The Wilson and Clerke barrels are great shooters. I don't own a Criterion, so can't help you there either.

Busta said:
nocomike said:
Busta said:

I've never owned or shot a Micro-Groove, so I can't tell you anything other than what I've read on those. The Wilson and Clerke barrels are great shooters. I don't own a Criterion, so can't help you there either.
Criterion is a division of Krieger and are match grade barrels.i have 2 and I think it was the best barrels white used other than the Douglas on my White ESR's

I now own a M 97 that has a "funnel" shaped crown. Any idea which maker produced this barrel?

Back