Whitetail accuracy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redclub said:
Underclocked said:
Of all the Whites I've owned, my favorite has been the Model 97 UltraMag since the first time I shot it. Bo Clerke barrel (funky crown), better synthetic stock, 26" barrel, easy to handle and operate... and a tack driver. Super 91 models came and went, a Thunderbolt would have been sent to hell if it had been practical, and a few other model 97 rifles along the way... now only that UltraMag remains in my cabinet. The Super 91 is the most elegant looking of all the Whites in my opinion but it is not as user friendly for arthritic hands as are the Whitetail designs. All can be great shooters, even the Blunderblot. ;)

I agree with UC,sometimes He knows what He is talking about. Elk hunting U-M 504 cannot be beat

I agree. And his M97 .504 Ultra Mag has a Bo Clerke barrel on it. :D

So either the MTI/White was giving out bad information back then, Doc is mistaken, or both UC and I are mistaken? I know there are more here that were on the original old White Rifles forum at White Rifles that should be able to back up UC and I on the Bo Clerke barrel information. Everybody went by their given name over there. Ed M., Bob B., Rich T., Rob B., Jeff, Mike, Jay P.,, Tom L,. and a few other original DWB's. Help a brother out!

I have a prototype M98 Elite Hunter in .410 Docs GBW and hand stamped PSS... serial number. Doc first wanted to know how I got it then said it was the only M98 .410. The rifle is in the Super Safari dress. The crown is a funnel however not as steep as the M97's I have 7 land/grove configuration.

Busta or anyone else have you ever seen a M98 Elite Hunter in .410?

Busta said:
nocomike said:
I sent an email to Doc asking about the barrel on the M97 I just acquired...

Doc,

I am looking at a M 97, stainless, made by MTI. It has a funnel shaped crown and 6 lands/grooves. My research is conflicting with regard to which barrel maker produced this particular barrel. Clerke barrels have 7 lands/grooves with a funnel crown, or so I am told. Have you any idea who made this barrel?

Thanks,
Mike

Criterion, best there were, all 97 barrels are Criterion. Doc

Doc White Sent from my iPad

Thanks for that information.

Not saying Doc is wrong here, but that isn't what MTI/White was telling us for years back in the late 90's. So, that begs the questions, who made the barrels with 7 lands and grooves in the .451 M97 & M98? What rifles had the Bo Clerke Barrels on them? The 7 lands and grooves were a selling point in their advertising back then. I had over a half dozen dealers within an hour and fifteen minute drive back then and they had the same information.

Sorry if I gave you bad information, it wasn't intentional. My White Rifles .451 M98 absolutely has 7 lands and grooves with the funnel crown made by MTI.

Who has a .451 or .504 M97 with 7 lands and grooves? How many lands and grooves are in the .504 Ultra-Mag?

The thing you have to understand about all the White companies over the years is, that a lot of them lost their arse due to poor business management, and this left some of their vendors holding the bag. This would include several barrel companies. Companies machining bolt parts, breech plugs, recoil lugs, under ribs, ram rod thimbles/ferrules, and receiver parts. They used Williams, Lyman, and Marble Arms (Tru Glo) Sights, Warne bases and rings, Bold Triggers, Bell & Carlson stocks, recoil pads.

This is why there are so many different parts on so many different rifles. Some of those parts ended up going to the new White Company, some of them Doc ended up with, and some of them were sold by the vendors to White owners. Some bridges were burned over the years as well. That is why nothing on any White Rifle Model is absolute. Just when you think you are getting it figured out, you get another curve ball. I've been following them since 1991, so I've seen a lot of curve balls over the years. This barrel mystery has to rank at or near the top if the heap.

So, anyone with a .410, .451, .504 M97 or M98, let us know what brand name (MTI, White Rifles), type of crown, and how many lands & grooves your barrel has? Thanks for any replies.

Well, the only thing I am certain of is that no apologies are due. My M97 is in really good shape with no pitting or sign of much use at all and certainly no abuse/neglect. I can't imagine the barrel is anything but original and the rather insignificant matter of which barrel it has is only a mild curiosity.

I feel quite fortunate to have located a guy nearby that had 3 white rifles he was willing to part with, which gave me the opportunity to inspect them before handing over cash. A Super 91, M 97, and a Whitetail. The S 91 and Whitetail have the stepped crowns typical of Wilson barrels, which seems to fit what would be expected in regard to these two models. I had been looking for a local deal for quite some time and am pleased as punch to finally have a White - and just plain giddy to have found three. I am eager to learn as much as I can and really appreciate the wealth of insight afforded a "new guy" by all you long time White owners. :yeah:

I agree that it probably doesn't matter what barrel as all the Whites I have had except one has been a good shooter . Of course I had a few that I never shot but I would bet they wouldn't be any different . And there are definitely a lot of oddballs out there , especially if they have went back through Doc's hands . For example what does anyone know about a .451 bull barrel Bison ??
Only a 20 inch barrel . I didn't think there was such an animal but I have one , new and unfired. Is this an oddball or am I missing something along the way
What does anyone know on it ??
Thanks

whitetail said:
I have a prototype M98 Elite Hunter in .410 Docs GBW and hand stamped PSS... serial number. Doc first wanted to know how I got it then said it was the only M98 .410. The rifle is in the Super Safari dress. The crown is a funnel however not as steep as the M97's I have 7 land/grove configuration.

Busta or anyone else have you ever seen a M98 Elite Hunter in .410?

Don't recall one, however they made Thunderbolts in. .410. They made M98+ with the Thunderbolt receivers and stocks by putting in a M98 plunger/striker, so anything is possible.

I have a Tbolt in .410. From what I've read there were only six built. It's a pain trying to find .410+ bullets. I might be going into the bullet casting business. I have an Odessey with a sporter stock instead of a thumbhole, a S91 that was a sales sample marked NOT FOR RESALE on the barrel. The ones I've shot are all good shooter's There's a lot of oddball Whites floating around out there.

I have a 410 tbolt also got it in a three way trade still gotta shoot that thing

I'll stick up for the tbolt as mine is a shooter for sure. My 91-11 has a Wilson barrel I believe.
Steve

Latest posts

Back