Whitetail Rifle Range report - .280AI and .25-06 ? 100yd and

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just a quick range report...Over the past two weeks I have been working on sighting in and or re-sighting several different guns. Two of the guns included are my Kenny Jarrett .280 AI and a new gun I recently purchased for Mel. Mel?s new gun is custom .25-06 built on a Remington 700 action; as is my Jarrett.

Mel?s .25-06 was built by renown rifle builder Dennis Erhardt. The trued 700 action features a 26? Montana rifle company barrel and is stocked in a HS precision stock.

My .280AI is scoped with a Swarovski AV 4-12x50 with BR reticle. Mel?s .25-06 features a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 with Z-600 reticle.

The goal for the past two weeks was to re-sight in my Jarrett with its preferred ammo, Nosler custom 140gr Accubond loads at 3100fps, as well as to find a preferred ammo for Mels gun suitable for long range whitetail work. Additionally, I then wanted to get both guns sighted in dead on at 200yds in order to maximize the efficiency of each of the ballistic reticles the guns are scoped with.

I am pleased to say, in two weeks we were able to accomplish both of those goals. We identified three exceptional factory loads for Mel?s new .25-06. The Nosler custom 100gr Partitions, the Winchester 110gr Accubonds, and the Double Tap 120gr Partitions. (Given the intended long range use of this gun I will be happy to use the Double Tap 120gr Parititions.)

I will be glad to go into greater detail concerning the guns, ammo, scopes or ballistics reticles for anyone interested. At this point though I will just post some targets and let them speak for themselves.

Also, I would like to thank Outdrdave for joining us last week and turning in some beautiful groups with Mel?s gun and the Winchester 110 Accubond ammo. The combined shooting that was achieve between the three people involved in the past week, both at 100 and especially 200yds, truly impressed the heck out of me!

JC

-----------
First three targets below are all 100yds?next two targets are at 200yds...and were shot back to back by Mel and I with two different guns and loads...finally the last pics show the .25-06 and .280AI.
016-2.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

023-1.jpg

025.jpg

027-2.jpg

0012.jpg

Mel should like her 25-06. Little recoil and it shoots well. I got my 25-06 in 1962 when they were still wildcats. I still have it, built on a Mauser 98 with a Douglas barrel.
Good hunting.

Jc,

I bet you won't be able to tell the killing power difference between both rifles on game.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
Jc,

I bet you won't be able to tell the killing power difference between both rifles on game.

Chocdog

Either way..it IS there...just no way to measure it subjectively in the field, nor do I think it is important...But then again that is why I chose to go with the 120 Partition in the .25-06 with a tough heavy for caliber bullet.

JC

I shoot the 115 partitions in my 25-06. I shot a couple deer with it last year and the guys at camp were amazed at the exit holes and blood trails from such a small caliber. I think you will be pleased.

ive always wanted a .25-06 to tinker with ... should make a great caliber for whitetails

Back