Who weighs EVERY powder charge before putting it in a case

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDonkey1

Reaction score
Just wondering who else does this

I weigh every charge on a 505 before putting it in a case I don't care if its 22.5 grains of LIL Gun for my 44 or 69 grains of H4350 for my 257 Weatherby and every other caliber I load for
Yes its time consuming but I feel better knowing there all exact and hope I cane squeeze the most accuracy I can out of each round I load

I've always weighed all of my charges individually. All you have to do is throw 10 charges out of a dispenser and see the variance to convince yourself to weigh each charge.

I pre-weigh almost every charge of black powder and Blackhorn too. Then I put the charges in Lane's tubes marked with a Sharpie.

patocazador said:
I've always weighed all of my charges individually. All you have to do is throw 10 charges out of a dispenser and see the variance to convince yourself to weigh each charge.
Ya I know what you mean about being inconsistent mine will very around .3 to .5 grains either way
I just set it around a half grain or so lite and trickle the rest

Some of the rifles I reload for, having to use a scale is forced on me due to my little cups not throwing enough or to much. Its slow, but accurate and thats what we are after. With smokeless, that 1 - 2 grain +/- will really make a difference.

That 1-2gr +- might be the deference between a hot load or a blown gun.

Spitfire said:
That 1-2gr +- might be the deference between a hot load or a blown gun.
Yup very true

Seen a 45 colt blow up last summer at the gun range  the guys son reloaded him some shells and didn't know what he was doing and he put H4350 in about 8 or 10  of them before his dad caught him  the guy thought he had pulled all of them but he missed 1 and found it at the range the hard way

Yeah mostly the outcome of such foolishness is lost eyes or digits from the hands....he was lucky he got away unhurt.

Spitfire said:
Yeah mostly the outcome of such foolishness is lost eyes or digits from the hands....he was lucky he got away unhurt.
He was hurt i just don't know how bad just that there was blood all over and he was hauled off in a bandaid wagon

I don't get hot or max loads thing. They are usually not your most accurate. Personal defense is close quarters light and max/hot will work. A mistake in either will kill you or get you killed. It must penetrate and kill or max injure/disable. Long range loads must be accurate with penetration. You must know your max distance for minimum lethal penetration. I've seen a hunter with a 300 WM need 6 shots at 100 yards to kill a whitetail doe because he couldn't place the shot. I've seen a rancher in southwestern NE drop a mule deer in his tracks in a pasture at almost 500 yards with 0ne shot of an 85 grain .243 caliber. The shooter needs the combo of shooting skills, correct, accurate loads with the ability to combine them in harmonic performance.  The key ingredient to it all is practice, everything, including reloading technique. Everyone also has a different idea of what is accurate. Is it .1, .01, .001 .0001 , or what ??? A loader has to decide for themselves.

Was at Whittington Ctr last Sat. While there I watched And looked at gear used in Nat Bench Rest Assn match. They used scales to set their measures and threw charges directly into cases. All had a "rhythm" or technique they used.

The last time I was in Clark Custom (early 90's) I talked w Jerry Miculek about their loading set up. They used progressives for everything and had a complete set up for every caliber.

I have always weighed my 45/70 and 45/90 loads. 4227 with a foam wad on top.

I weigh every rifle charge. I just can't seem to operate my powder measure consistently. I usually use the powder measure to throw a charge in the pan and then trickle the rest.

Dan

Latest posts

Back