Surprised to Say the Least

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
I went out tonight to shoot my new bullets and new lube out of my .504 super 91, which I just changed over to a Treso nipple in the breech plug.
The bore on this rifle measures out .5055 so I have my bullets sized at .505 they slip down with only a finger pressure on the ramrod.
I shot Pyrodex Select and Black MZ.
I measured out 80 grains of each by volume, weighed it, and then weighed out 5 more identical charges of each.
I fired a 50 grain powder only charge of Pyrodex Select to foul the bore and then wiped one pass with a dry patch. Loaded and shot the first shot followed by one pass of a dry patch. Did this exactly the same for the next two shots. After the 3rd shot, I did not wipe the bore and shot the next 3. I shot the Pyrodex Select RS first and then repeated the same routine for the Black MZ.
The first 3 shots I used a wonder wad under the bullet. The target was at 111 yards. The shots circled and marked with a (1) were using the wad and wiping between shots. The shots marked (2) are shot immediately following the first group with no wipe, and no wad,
If it posts the targets in order, the first will be the Pyrodex, the second Black MZ. It is written on the target near the top if you can read chicken scratch.
The small holes in the Pyro target are my 10 year old grandson with his new .22 just learning to shoot with open sights. The two shots marked in red on the Black MZ target were me shooting my sons .58 musket at the same range. I could wear my glasses and see the front sight and not the target, or take them off and see the target and not the front sight. Did pretty well for being blind I think. The super 91 had a scope so that isn’t a problem, but my right ear is full of fluid (dang head cold) and I could feel my heart beat in it and with each beat, the crosshairs were dancing left and right about 1/2”. Elevation wise, I felt pretty confident.
I might add, every shot but 1 with the Pyro was a slight hangfire, very slight, but definitely a delay. The Black MZ,ignition was instantaneous on every shot.29BE518D-6EAB-4672-A54C-CFB83DE5AC87.jpegE74B8958-3D9B-44E6-A150-675F2505B40B.jpeg It put the pictures in reverse order. The one with the color marked shots is the Black MZ

Never used the pyrodex so I cant comment. I have used the Blk MZ and I found that if I really leaned down on my range rod to get compression on the powder first...my groups size shrunk up quite a bit. It does ignite very well I must say. I've also used it in my 50-70govt Rem Rolling block, again with a fair amount of compression.

When I first started off with Pryodex P with My Whites. I always got excellent accuracy but switched to 777-3F but primarily use Swiss 3F now. Found P to be very oily and more messy.

Never used the pyrodex so I cant comment. I have used the Blk MZ and I found that if I really leaned down on my range rod to get compression on the powder first...my groups size shrunk up quite a bit. It does ignite very well I must say. I've also used it in my 50-70govt Rem Rolling block, again with a fair amount of compression.
Yeah I was putting, I would guess, 75 lbs pressure on it, both powders. What surprised me the most was the dirty bore outshot the semi-clean one by less than half

Yeah I was putting, I would guess, 75 lbs pressure on it, both powders. What surprised me the most was the dirty bore outshot the semi-clean one by less than half

Doc designed these rifles to shoot on a dirty bore. I've tested this to the max. One day, I shot 75 times in a row and NEVER swabbed the bore once. I have done this with Pyrodex P and 777 fffg. I was exhausted after these shooting sessions, but had a blast doing them. I was shooting on a public range, and the people around me kept watching me and finally started asking questions about the rifle. They all were amazed that I could shoot again and again without having to clean the bore, and yet each bullet would load with finger pressure each time. And my last groups were just as excellent as my first ones!

I've been shooting Whites since 1991, and think Doc has one of the best designs on the market. I normally foul with something non corrosive like Clean Shot, then load and hunt. If I shoot during season, I do a regular cleanup and then foul again with a non-c powder, then load again. Been doing that for years with no corrosion at all.

To the OP, that is some fine shooting. With the conditions you had to overcome, you shot great.

Bob, glad to see you here! Hope you frequently come back and share your knowledge and experiences with White ML’s and Archery/Bowhunting.

Doc designed these rifles to shoot on a dirty bore. I've tested this to the max. One day, I shot 75 times in a row and NEVER swabbed the bore once. I have done this with Pyrodex P and 777 fffg. I was exhausted after these shooting sessions, but had a blast doing them. I was shooting on a public range, and the people around me kept watching me and finally started asking questions about the rifle. They all were amazed that I could shoot again and again without having to clean the bore, and yet each bullet would load with finger pressure each time. And my last groups were just as excellent as my first ones!

I've been shooting Whites since 1991, and think Doc has one of the best designs on the market. I normally foul with something non corrosive like Clean Shot, then load and hunt. If I shoot during season, I do a regular cleanup and then foul again with a non-c powder, then load again. Been doing that for years with no corrosion at all.

To the OP, that is some fine shooting. With the conditions you had to overcome, you shot great.
I got my first White about 1990, a .504 Whitetail. I too have amazed people with how accurate these guns could be after multiple shots with no cleaning.
It’s just, after watching Lewis shoot I expected to see 1 hole groups with swabbing between shots. My bullets load about the same pressure as his. I was surprised to see the difference....

Who is this masked man?!?!;)

Glad to see ya back, bro!! :lewis:

What is this non corrosive Clean Shot you speak of for fouling your barrel prior to hunting.

Latest posts

Back