Why don’t they make more smokeless Muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously you are WRONG. You can buy prefits for the MLII with the plug of your choice. In the caliber of your choice using a CF grade barrel from Pacnor, Brux, Douglas or McGowen just to name a few. You can buy LRMP module bolt conversions for the bolt or use a 209 primer. Using a primed case is a technology that has been dropped by nearly every single builder of SMLs. It has serious flaws and weaknesses vs using a LRMP module made from brass or bronze alloy.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk using a primed case and smokeless in a alloy frame CVA. Doing so is foolish when a CVA Hunter is well under $300 in 45/70. Center Punch USA will convert them to SML for as little as $200.
Gm54-120 this is supposed to be about smokeless muzzleloaders . Safe ones i would hope . If this guy wants to blow himself up thats cool with me . If we was at a range and he pulled that thing out and i saw it i doubt id wait for a range officer to get it the hell away from next to me . Thats a bomb just waiting for "WHEN" . You really gunna leave that up????????

ATM he has not mentioned the rifles so it violates no rules. Warnings have been issued before. CVA and Rossi both sell CF break actions that could work. One mention of using a "black powder only" rifle barrel and it will be deleted and a temp ban issued due to prior warning on that topic.

ATM he has not mentioned the rifles so it violates no rules. Warnings have been issued before. CVA and Rossi both sell CF break actions that could work. One mention of using a "black powder only" rifle barrel and it will be deleted and a temp ban issued due to prior warning on that topic.
Ok , but i gotta tell ya thats nuts . Especially with smokeless . I know you know.....

Danny im all about outa the box thinkin BUT that is DANGEROUS !!!! That is The Only Reason im making this level of fuss.....

Last edited:
Very few of us on this entire site actually own and shoot SML rifles.

However, the OP asked why more are not making SML rifles...………………. Some of the responses are his answer.

You screw up with this ship, your course will be straight to the bottom of the pond.

This is just my opinion concerning SML...…….. I do not like reading posts where anyone, regardless of who, cobbles up something and presents it to an audience. Not even the BEST SML builders will release or show anything, until its actually proven with top quality methods, such as pressure checks, traces, etc. Tying something to a bench, standing behind a tree with a long string on the trigger, is not a valid test.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone or any individual, but myself and everyone must take SML very serious. SML requires 100% concentration and attention to details to the finest.
IMO, let the known high quality and trusted builders work inside and outside the box. When they identify a new mouse trap and have tested and confirmed it, let them release it. If you have an idea, present it to one of the professionals.

It doesn't matter who you are, what profession, what experience you might have, things can and do go wrong. Example: My first muzzleloader came in 1973 and have been shooting them a LONG time. It took me 42 years before my first dry ball......... but it happened. With SML, I've already made one boo boo, but that's why we use witness marks right?

SML requires 100% concentration and attention to details to the finest.

If i venture back in to an inline Rifle, i FULLY plan on a Custom Smokeless Rig, BIG HEAVY Bench Gun that will Shoot a Mile and Some :)
IdahoLewis ya like em big & heavy enough that there oughta be somebody downrange when ya pull the trigger to yell " INCOMING "! Where just the wind off the projectile in a near miss is enough to spin ya round & set ya down.

I've struggled with mad scientist thoughts but in a very bubba way
Like a 1 tatter 2 tatter kinda math I had too at Budda High The time I was there anyways LOL I still like bubba simple in most things in my life. I go to the " Big Bamboo " when ppl like to complicate a cheese sammich. I get real mad when Its ME. lol

Latest posts

Back