Why witness marks are a requirement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son & I were shooting our Accura rifles and his is a MR while mine is a V2. These CVAs have different length barrels & of course different length ramrods. It was quite easy to get the ramrods mixed up as we found out. My V2 ramrod now has witness marks to indicate loaded & unloaded. I believe that it is imperative that your/ALL ramrods have witness marks to prevent any type of miss-loading which can be dangerous. You can always point your CVA at the sky & check for light through the bore to ensure that the weapon is in fact unloaded. Hope this helps & always be safe.

Witness marks only work if you actually use them. How many people that have witness marks on their ramrod actually look at it after they load? Just having one on your ramrod because everyone says you should have one doesn't work.

Witness marks only work if you actually use them. How many people that have witness marks on their ramrod actually look at it after they load? Just having one on your ramrod because everyone says you should have one doesn't work.
Do you have a better idea????

Yup. That's right. You have to look at the range rod after you seat the bullet.

I actually look and check my witness mark on EVERY load without fail. Yes, it has to be used.

But you also have to remove the rod after loading, too. Ive seen a few pics and vids, and actually been witness to, shooters leaving a bore sighter or range rod in their barrel.

I do it without fail
also I don't have a separate range rod for that reason
the gun mounted ram rod is what I use in the field and what I use on my range so the witness mark is always the same
the only changes are made when I use different shaped bullets so the witness mark is going to move a bit

I do it without fail
also I don't have a separate range rod for that reason
the gun mounted ram rod is what I use in the field and what I use on my range so the witness mark is always the same
the only changes are made when I use different shaped bullets so the witness mark is going to move a bit but I still have the reference

Latest posts

Back