Wierd, any ideas?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweesdad,
What model gun was this problem with?Just a thought,if the gun had a patent breech or powder chamber(like most TC)could the powder have not gotten to the bottom of chamber due to bridging or fowling?There may have been pressure enough to move the projectile,but not hot enough to ignite pyrodex after traveling this far?

Something else is afoot here. The primer has enough force to push the bullet half way down the barrel but not enough to ignite Pyrodex P? Hmmmmmmmmmm? I am going to stick with a bad primer and a slipped bullet. The two being unrelated but coincidental.

Just a thought.The pressure doesn't ignite the powder the temperature does,correct.That amount of metal could cool the wave below 750* ignition temp of pyrodex possibly or am I way off?Wouldn't be the first time!

stude283 said:
Just a thought.The pressure doesn't ignite the powder the temperature does,correct.That amount of metal could cool the wave below 750* ignition temp of pyrodex possibly or am I way off?Wouldn't be the first time!

Temperature is what ignites BP. Regular BP ingites around 400. Pyrodex around 600 to 700 (going by my feeble memory here).

Nitro-based powders, Temp is what ignites it, but it takes a LOT of pressure to KEEP the stuff burning like it should.

Latest posts

Back