Winchester 1300 problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a good place to post this but i'm throwing it out there to anyone who might offer some advise.

My 12 ga. Winchester 1300 action will absolutely NOT stay shut when fired! It flies open, sometimes far enough to eject the shell, especially with Mags. I have tried to HOLD it shut with forward pressure and cannot.

I have been to 2 gunsmiths and they say that is typical and there is nothing wrong with it. I say to them," this gun is used in law enforcement and no police force would use a gun that extracts the shell on it's own or cycles part way through the ejection process on its own.

One smith says there is a bolt spring that holds the bolt in place when it is fired and one says that's not true. It DOES kick like a mule when fired.

Neither smith has fired this gun. One has seen it and cleaned it. :( :?

Please give your 2 cents.

I have been to 2 gunsmiths and they say that is typical and there is nothing wrong with it. I say to them," this gun is used in law enforcement and no police force would use a gun that extracts the shell on it's own or cycles part way through the ejection process on its own.

Your smiths are correct, it is typical. And I am sorry I must respectfully disagree with your statement about the police. This is a quite common occurance, especially with heavy loads such as slugs and buckshot with the Win 1300,Rem 870, and Mossberg 500. Most LE are trained to fire and pump immediately after the shot through the recoil phase. This does not present a problem to them at all.

Thanks R-man,
Really not what I wanted to hear. :(
I think I'll just trade the thing in.

Have to agree with the other posts, your pump works like it should. I am curious why you do not like this???

RAZORBACK said:
Have to agree with the other posts, your pump works like it should. I am curious why you do not like this???

Dell,
It does it even with 2 3/4" feild loads. With magnums I can't get off a second shot at turkeys because at the shot the slide cycles back to the point where it almost ejects the shell but stops short with the shell hanging out perpendicular to the gun. I don't know whether to push or pull at that point. I got no use for that. :?

Wrong palce to post but...Win. 12 guage 1300 Turkey gun. Matt finish barrel walnut stocked. several chokes...good looking gun. Guaranteed to kick the snot out of ya. $150 to your door

Spitpatch said:
Wrong palce to post but...Win. 12 guage 1300 Turkey gun. Matt finish barrel walnut stocked. several chokes...good looking gun. Guaranteed to kick the snot out of ya. $150 to your door

TRADE? How about a "lifetime supply" of sabots?

RAZORBACK said:
Spitpatch said:

TRADE? How about a "lifetime supply" of sabots?

How about trading for a 12ga. barrel for my Encore? Got one?

Spitpatch said:
I don't know whether to push or pull at that point. I got no use for that. :?

You pull. 8)

What is being described is what the 1300 has long been both touted and promised as doing, hence the "SpeedPump" moniker and trademark.

I got one of those too (Dog Won it) that is the only good thing about it. :lol:
Redclub

Ive got a 1300 XTR and had it for 17 years, absolutely love it. It can be shot as fast or faster than a semi auto ( rabbit and dove hunting friends are amazed at how fast I can miss :D ). I am a policeman and we are trained on 870 Police Mags to pull with shooting hand and push with hand on foreend for stability and recoil management. I have also owned an 870 but I prefer the old 1300 to this day. I had the original barrel sent to Mark Bansners to cut to 21, backbore and choke sleeve for turkey hunting, it done very well. A few years back I sent it to Gun Docc and he made it an even better turkey shooter (live, not card type) by polishing the bore and lengthening the forcing cone. Once I tried my hand at refinishing it and done a nice job ( for a teenager) until I was putting the stock back on and my straight screwdriver slipped as I was pouring the mojo to it and busted the side out of it! It now has a Ram Line synthetic stock. Its ugly but I really love it. Oh and it now wears a Simmons 4x32 shotgun scope for its such a tight shooter. Sorry about the rambling, just have strong feelings for my 1300.

Oh and back to your problem, the 1300 bolt has lugs that go into the barrel but if you've ever had the barrel off with the action closed, you can take your finger and push the bolt and watch it rotate as it goes back. This is not really a problem but if your shell is partially ejecting and hanging, that is a problem. Mine has a flat spring steel "ejector" and it may be able to be bent or might not line up in the corresponding slot on the barrel which might cause your problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info, but I no longer own the gun.

Someone have a shotgun with a turkey choke to sell?

I don't have an arm and a leg, just an arm :lol:

Spitpatch said:

Hey spit, My 870 Ulti mag is a great setup for Turkeys as well. :)

Grouse said:
Spitpatch said:

Hey spit, My 870 Ulti mag is a great setup for Turkeys as well. :)

You got one too? I've never tried mine on turkeys. I bought mine for goose hunting and then only went once. They're pretty good guns. If Remington ever sells those sweet camo thumbhole stocks seperately I'm gonna get one for it. :shock:

My 1300 works this way also. It's my turkey gun, and I'm OK with it. Patterns well. Killed a gobbler at 45 yards last year.

Back