Woke up the sleeping giant

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarGazer

Reaction score
Just got some musket cap nipples for my Lyman Great Plains .54 cal that I built a while ago. Now that I am using musket caps instead of #11's, I get 100% ignition with T-7 which seems to really bring that rifle to life! I am using 230gr home moulded round balls, cotton T-shirt patches lubed with olive oil, and 90gr. of T-7. Cleans up easily and super cheap to shoot!

Sounds like a beast. I love the .54 PRBs way cool...I am curious abot the cotton T-Shirt patch...rather than pillow ticking...I just found out about onion skin paper...the more I learn......

So is the T-Shirt cause thats what you have, or is there a reason to shoot that over the pillow ticking?

Glad you got the rifle working the way you like. I simply purchased a #11 nipple from RMC Sports and never had a problem with any kind of powder I want to shoot. But if the musket caps work for you.. that is great. You have a great rifle and a powerful load.

I use T-Shirt material because my wife is a seamstress and he have huge amount of thin cotton scraps laying around. I am not sure exactly how thick the material is, but it seems to fit nice and snug with .535 round ball in .54 cal. It also works fine with .490 in .50 cal. I just steal a few drops of olive oil from the kitchen and put just enough to make the patch yellow, squeezing out any excess. My rifle does not seem to care if I use pink poka dots, yellow flowers or just plain white cloth... :lol:

cayuga said:
Glad you got the rifle working the way you like. I simply purchased a #11 nipple from RMC Sports and never had a problem with any kind of powder I want to shoot. But if the musket caps work for you.. that is great. You have a great rifle and a powerful load.
the nice thing about musket caps are that they are easy to handle, you can light cigars wit em, and they provide better ignition quality than a 209 in my experience... and I can use them on ALL of my guns... one cap, one powder... :D

Tom, glad to see you're here. I went to Dixon's this past weekend which is a local ML store here in PA and bought a container of 200 RWS Musket Caps for $20. Man the price of them things sure have gone up over the years. I remember when I use to be able to purchase RWS #11 caps for about $4. I think they are now around $9.

Ed

edmehlig said:
Tom, glad to see you here. I just went to Dixon's which is a local ML store here in PA and bought a container of 200 RWS Musket Caps for $20. Man the price of them things sure have gone up over the years. I remember when I use to be able to purchase RWS #11 caps for about $4. I think they are now around $9.

Ed

No kidding, I just called my gun shop and said did my "case" of caps come in... yup... $104.11..... Wondering how to convert the white to a flinter... :D

This is the "Hawaiian's" Fault.... brought to you from the lily pad... sheeesh

Latest posts

Back