woodman arms patriot vs knight mountaineer/ultra-lite in .45 ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i go back and forth between the 1-20 brux and the 1-18 mcgowen .
honestly , being new to MLing , the brux would probably be like putting lipstick on a pig .
are there any other barrels besides brux or mcgowen that you offer ? if so how do they compare ?
What are you planning to do with the rifle?

hunt deer mostly under 100 yards , 150ish + shots are also possible around here . shoot ground hogs at the farm and i'd like to be able to go 200 yards + on them . punching paper at longer distance .

I have both barrels I'm very happy with both always in the future for me if I have my choice I will stick with 18 twist it does everything to 20 will do and handles the heavy stuff just slightly better also it will handle heavier 40 Cals to 240 and 50 Furies better I'm not saying the 20 and 22s won't spin them everybody put your rocks down the 18 is the most versatile Choice hands down I'm shooting the 18Brux at the moment really the first day here in Arkansas that I've whooped the gun out just just plinking a little bit. Oh yeah I'm shooting the Paramount upgrade today not the Omega but y'all know how it turns out maybe at the end of the day unless it's embarrassing which I doubt.

I don't know if the picture will show there's four shots in a kind of a ragged hole right at the bottom of the orange and then at the top right is a 400 grain Fury both shot out of an 18 twist today if it's between a 250 Fury and a 400 is pretty radical the 18 twist doesn't seem to mind

Attachments

• 20230108_150318.jpg
    20230108_150318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
The 250 grain Fury was 59 grains of IMR 4198 the 400 grain was 45 grains of IMR 4198 a little tweaking and I think that 400 grain would suck up but very recoil feels just a little different than the 250

Going to experiment a lot more with the 400s and as I get time in the weeks ahead I'll break out the chronograph I'm going to experiment a little bit with a 2015 in the heavy bullets and maybe some lt32 or reloader 7

But this is an example for me why I'm 18 twist fan I've got 20 twist barrels that shoot great they just don't handle the Heavies as well, but back to Woodman for a moment I think if you didn't wanta McGowan or a Brux he would probably use any Barrel you sent him as long as it was the taper that he is used to I would
not hesitate to ask him if I could send him a Krieger or Sheilen or some other premium Barrel he's pretty flexible.

hunt deer mostly under 100 yards , 150ish + shots are also possible around here . shoot ground hogs at the farm and i'd like to be able to go 200 yards + on them . punching paper at longer distance.
The first part you can do with almost anything. I prefer break open guns for hunting but the long range target world is owned by bolt guns or maybe drop block actions, not break open guns.

with your results MM the McGowen 1-18 will be it . i was just wondering if there was something in between price wise .
i'm good

All the internals are the same for both of those bolt ‘bodies’. They should easily swap.
As for anyone making a better bolt for a mountaineer, to my knowledge no one else but Knight makes a bolt for the Knights. But sportsmans warehouse sells one really cheap.
Buy this…
Knight Mountaineer Full Plastic Conversion Kit
And this…
Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme
And this…
Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight Mountaineer and Ultralight or use the bare primer plug if you already have one.
I ordered the above 3 but I'm Confused how it could work. The lenghts of threaded portion of the breech plugs is very different. see photo:

Attachments

• Knight_Montaineer_Bare_By_FPJ.JPG
    Knight_Montaineer_Bare_By_FPJ.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Top plug is a bare primer plug
Bottom is a red plastic jacket plug,

I know that
I ordered the above 3 but I'm Confused how it could work. The lenghts of threaded portion of the breech plugs is very different. see photo:

The Mountaineer and UL are cut for a longer breech plug(deeper into the barrel). But the Mountaineer, UL, and DISCs all use the same bolt(not counting the different finishes). The difference is inside the particular barrel. I have an UltraLight barrel and breech plug with a Mountaineer bolt that was in my Original DISC, and a laminate stock that came from my 54-120 carbine. The only special fitting required was making room in the stock for the bigger forked recoil lug and bedding.
If you put the shorter DISC plug into a Mountaineer or UL barrel it will go in much too far. Likewise if you put the UL Mountaineer plug into a DISC you would never be able to close the bolt.

The Mountaineer and UL are cut for a longer breech plug(deeper into the barrel). But the Mountaineer, UL, and DISCs all use the same bolt(not counting the different finishes). The difference is inside the particular barrel. I have an UltraLight barrel and breech plug with a Mountaineer bolt that was in my Original DISC, and a laminate stock that came from my 54-120 carbine. The only special fitting required was making room in the stock for the bigger forked recoil lug and bedding.
If you put the shorter DISC plug into a Mountaineer or UL barrel it will go in much too far. Likewise if you put the UL Mountaineer plug into a DISC you would never be able to close the bolt.
Thanks. That helps clear up my understanding. To me it doesn't seem to be the best idea to leave the bolt cocked. Maybe dry firing doesn't hurt the firing pin or firing pin spring but it seems to me that it might. Would you know. If there a way to uncock it without dry firing?

Thanks. That helps clear up my understanding. To me it doesn't seem to be the best idea to leave the bolt cocked. Maybe dry firing doesn't hurt the firing pin or firing pin spring but it seems to me that it might. Would you know. If there a way to uncock it without dry firing?
You can screw in the secondary safety(rear knob) most of the way, pull the trigger, (the firing pin wont be able to hit any thing), screw the rear knob back out allowing the pin to slowly continue forward to its stop.

Latest posts

Back