woodman arms patriot vs knight mountaineer/ultra-lite in .45 ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mind if I ask did you raise and lower the bolt when you re-fired the gun?Usually I had to recock the gun the fire it and open the bolt and the primer would roll out.I know the frustration,I went through that with my knight mountaineer when I got mine.Also might be the primer.Just letting you know from experience.

I also had to remove the breech plug half the time to have adequate access to the primer in order to get the primer out.
Not sure i understand. The primer should stay in the bolt. Im trying to understand how you had to pry it out of the plug?

Why did you have to take out the breech plug?The primer stays inside the face of the bolt when fired.Are you sure you had a mountaineer?Even if you took the bolt out the primer should have been a breeze to dislodge.Hve you tried shimming the primer pocket?I suppose after 2 years you no longer have the Knight? A picture would be nice to see the area you are speaking of.

Why did you have to take out the breech plug?The primer stays inside the face of the bolt when fired.Are you sure you had a mountaineer?Even if you took the bolt out the primer should have been a breeze to dislodge.Hve you tried shimming the primer pocket?I suppose after 2 years you no longer have the Knight? A picture would be nice to see the area you are speaking of.
Maybe I Need a new bolt because it can't seem to grab the primer firmly enough. The primer swells so tightly in the breech plug nipple that the bold can't grip it firmly enough. Maybe I need a new breech plug also. Hopefully the photo/s will help.

Attachments

• Knight_Mountaineer_12-27-2022__ (9).JPG
    Knight_Mountaineer_12-27-2022__ (9).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Knight_Mountaineer_Receiver_Priming_Port.JPG
    Knight_Mountaineer_Receiver_Priming_Port.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Maybe I Need a new bolt because it can't seem to grab the primer firmly enough. The primer swells so tightly in the breech plug nipple that the bold can't grip it firmly enough. Maybe I need a new breech plug also. Hopefully the photo/s will help.
I never cared for the factory bare primer bolt. I replaced it with an FPJ Extreme bolt and Lehigh adapter as soon as i could and i’m completely happy with it.

Maybe you have to polish out the inside if the primer pocket in the breech plug.Perhaps you may have carbon built up in the nipple.I tried the fpj but to me it seemed to have been dirtier.What primer are you using?

I believe I have a bolt and adapter for FPJ and a couple hundred plastic disks.It also can use 209 bare primers if you choose.Check the prices and get back to me if you would like.Will toy be needing the firing pin assembly with the bolt?

I believe I have a bolt and adapter for FPJ and a couple hundred plastic disks.It also can use 209 bare primers if you choose.Check the prices and get back to me if you would like.Will toy be needing the firing pin assembly with the bolt?
I think I would be better off with a firing pin assembly. Did you find someone who makes a better bolt for the 45 mountaineer?

Based on the amount of blowback that I am seeing; you have a headspace issue. You want 0.002"-0.004" or 0.003"-0.005" of primer crush depending on who you ask. I prefer 0.002"-0.004". YMMV.

I think I would be better off with a firing pin assembly. Did you find someone who makes a better bolt for the 45 mountaineer?
All the internals are the same for both of those bolt ‘bodies’. They should easily swap.
As for anyone making a better bolt for a mountaineer, to my knowledge no one else but Knight makes a bolt for the Knights. But sportsmans warehouse sells one really cheap.
Buy this…
Knight Mountaineer Full Plastic Conversion Kit
And this…
Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme
And this…
Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight Mountaineer and Ultralight or use the bare primer plug if you already have one.

All the internals are the same for both of those bolt ‘bodies’. They should easily swap.
As for anyone making a better bolt for a mountaineer, to my knowledge no one else but Knight makes a bolt for the Knights. But sportsmans warehouse sells one really cheap.
Buy this…
Knight Mountaineer Full Plastic Conversion Kit
And this…
Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme
And this…
Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight Mountaineer and Ultralight or use the bare primer plug if you already have one.

you are 100% correct. I don't think any primer would seal in the standard plug. It's the nature of the beast and I would have to say the majority don't give a crap about blowback. The best primer that has almost sealed itself in the standard plug is the Remington STS. I shoot the adjustable plug in my 40 cal Patriot, for pressure regulation because I shoot smokeless sized bullets. It does have some minor blowback, but this thing shoots sub moa out to 300 and probably even further if I tried it.

do winchester 777 ML primers work ok in the 45 1-18 patriot ? i'd be using 777 fff powder .

I love my Patriot, it just flat out shoots great for me. If I had one gripe / concern it would be the hinge pin and the very slight slop I can feel when the action is closed up. If it didn't shoot so good for me I would have to complain on that, but no complaints here!

has anyone else noticed slop in their patriot ?

Last edited:
I pulled them off temporarily, but will do them as a special order. I have had to lap 75% of the cut rifled barrels I've built to get them to load sized bullets consistently. I'm trying to decide how this will work on a larger scale before I get buried in orders.
I also have another process that we are developing where we can use a button barrel and lap it during manufacturing on a large scale basis. If it works, it will be significantly less cost than cut rifling and better.

i go back and forth between the 1-20 brux and the 1-18 mcgowen .
honestly , being new to MLing , the brux would probably be like putting lipstick on a pig .
are there any other barrels besides brux or mcgowen that you offer ? if so how do they compare ?

Latest posts

Back