Would you shoot with this ramod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
I was futzing (my wife's term) with my muzzy and wondered if this was a smart way to rig the ramrod...

HPIM1271.jpg

As you can see, the spin-jag extends beyond the muzzle of the barrel quite-a-ways...I thought this would be a good way to speed up loading of a second shot, but I wonder about having the spin-jag beyond the muzzle when I shoot.

I can't cut too much off the ramrod since I prefer to spit patch between shots (even when hunting) and pretty much need the entire length of the ramrod to get to the breach plug and eliminate the crud-ring...

HPIM1272.jpg

Is there a better way to do this for a quick reload in a hunting situation?

Would you shoot the gun with a ramrod that extended beyond the muzzle?

My gut tells me this is not a smart thing, but I thought I would post it here and get some other opinions...

Would you shoot the gun with a ramrod that extended beyond the muzzle?

No, I would not. They are also bad about catching on things when you are walking through the woods. It can snap your ramrod. Just my 2 cents.

I would not.... It is easier to carry a takedown rod with all the goodies on it.

Sure, the old timers used to leave as much as 4" sticking out. You cant pull a ball or clean the barrel with 3/8" of ramrod.

I shot for years with a ramrod extended past the muzzle. I never shot it with any accessories screwed on to it though, your only asking for trouble (catching on things). Also, those expen$ive accessories find a way to free themselves from the ramrod when you are the deepest darkest part of the trail (you know, furthest from the truck -when you notice it's gone!).

Not my favorite, but it works.... The loading tip will get eroded a bit....at least mine does.

The Genesis ramrod is a dumb design....

-Mike

I cut my rod off so the spin-jag loader is even with the end of the barrel. When hunting I use BH in my Triumph so I don't patch between shots. If I decide to shoot something else at the range I've got longer one with a handle for patching.
Zen

frontier gander said:
Sure, the old timers used to leave as much as 4" sticking out. You cant pull a ball or clean the barrel with 3/8" of ramrod.

The old timers were using patched round balls, not saboted bullets.

Do you know what a sabot is doing as soon as it leaves the bore, it is opening up and the petals are more than likely going to snag that spin-jag.

I have heard of guys using those plastic bullet seaters from PR, and having them stick out past the muzzle. When they went to load the next bullet, it was sheared off at the threads.

I would not do it either.

cleboje

Depending on the ram-rod you have I would suggest you cut it to the correct length than drill and tap it and screw your jag in.

A little over-hang is/will work but I fear you might be pushing the limit with what you have pictured.

This is an example - I cut the rod then added a TC Super Jag to the end of the rod...

MuzMittwithband.jpg

I have the speed handle ramrod for my Encore and just keep the spin jag in a fanny pack with my reload. I don't feel i need a second load that fast , or at least i hope not !! :roll:

I shoot with my ramrod as shown in the picture. I have the " Spin Jag " too. Have not had any issues yet.

My dad hunts with an Omega with the factory cleaning jag on it. It extends about 4" or so from the end of the barrel. It has worked for him over the past four years.

If you're worried about hitting your jag with a bullet, it won't happen. The sabot may or may not hit it but it shouldn't matter. My concern would be catching it on clothing, twigs, seat or seat covers or something else. Now if the only reason you have the jag hanging out is for quicker loading...well I wouldn't worry about that. If you hit a deer and it didn't go down you couldn't load fast enough to get off a 2nd shot and if you did it would be at a running deer. If you missed, well same as above. Also if it's hit it'll be dead when you find it. The only time I've needed a 2nd shot was when there were 2 deer and I shot one and the 2nd one, the stupid one :wink: , stood there waiting for me to shoot it. I had plenty of time to attach my spin jag, load powder and bullet, unscrew the jag and put the rod back in the thimbles. I had to field dress 2 deer that day.

Back