Would you shoot with this ramod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mk85 ramrod snapped off on a remote hunt one time,the cause was the powerbelt tip that i put on the end for loading powerbelts stuck out about and inch past the gun. I barely hit a tree and it snapped off. that was using one of the ol knight plastic ramrods tho, still i have learned my lesson.

I have often wondered what alot of you guys did, if and when, you needed a follow-up shot. I've had 3 hunts where a follow-up shot was available. When I reloaded I would have to screw on a loading jag that would fit over the tip of the Shockwave/SST without deforming the tip. This would seem to take forever with buck fever in overdrive! Sabotloader, it looks like you've got the solution I need. Could you tell me the steps you've taken to build your ramrod? Does your thimble interfere with your Super Jag in any way?

2nd shot

I did get a second shot opportunity. I was in a tree, hit the deer 1st shot at 140 yards and he he kept moving to about 50 yards behind the tree waiting on aother hunter to make up it's mind where he was going before the buck would move. I had to reach in my pocket, screw the jag onto the RR and reload while juggling Lanes tubes w/ powder, bullets and the Jad and pumped up w/ excitement.. So yes yoiu can get second shots rather quickly. However I lost a TC RR in the brush because I assume the T got turned out and caught on some of the crap in the brush piles or jaggerz. I would mnot let it hang out like that, I thin Sabotloader has the trick.
PS, I got the buck!

Thanks for all the reply's and the good ideas for how to solve this problem... :D

I think I will take the advice and cut the rod down enough so that the spin jag is even with the end of the barrel when the ramrod is installed in the thimbles.

Now I guess I have to get a #21 drill and a 10/32 tap and practice on some scrap rod till I have the technique down good enough. 8)

Thanks to Sabotloader...I took the plunge and got a spare spin-jag to install on my back-up ramrod.

It was easy enough to measure the correct length and to cut the rod with an ordinary hacksaw...

Next step was to wrap a short piece of plumbers tape on the spin-jag threads and install on the business end of the ramrod.

For Sabotloader all of those who contributed to the thread, thanks for all the tips and advice.

Here is a pic of the ramrod with spin-jag installed on the Triumph...

HPIM1281.jpg

Flhtr said:
I have often wondered what alot of you guys did, if and when, you needed a follow-up shot. I've had 3 hunts where a follow-up shot was available.

Put the first shot where it needs to be and there is no need for another shot. :roll: On the three hunts you experienced, was the follow up shot needed or just available? There is a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back